Waterslide Transfers for Great Northern

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

joppyuk1
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Waterslide Transfers for Great Northern

Post by joppyuk1 »

Can anyone suggest a suitable range of Great Northern letter and numeral waterslide transfers for locos, carriages and goods stock in 7mm scale.?
Thank you.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Waterslide Transfers for Great Northern

Post by notascoobie »

HI. You can get some 7mm scale transfers but you can't be too picky about the type. Fox does a sheet of GNR loco transfers. The HMRS does a sheet of GNR & ECJS carriage transfers but these are of the Pressfix or Methfix type. There is/was a supplier of wagon transfers but I can't remember the name! I'm still ok for those.

Steam n'Things do waterside transfers for carriages and wagons. I'm not convinced by the ones I got, the carrier sheet seemed very fragile and the insignia was not very opaque.

If anybody has other sources of transfers I'd also be keen to know.

Cheers,

Vernon

PS I forgot to mention that the Steam n'Things carriage transfers rendition of the complex shading and shadowing on carriage insignia appears to me to be incomplete and too pale.
joppyuk1
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by joppyuk1 »

Yes, I've found no-one who does a comprehensive range in one supplier. I'll just have to keep looking and meanwhile my stock will be undecorated.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Given that even what was once the "build it yourself" mass market, 4mm scale, still has (for instance) no truly comprehensive lining sheet in any form for the presumably more popular LNER loco liveries*, I wouldn't think it wise to hold your breath while waiting for proper coverage of GN needs in 7mm scale - unless of course there are sufficient like-minded 7mm modellers willing (as often appears to be the case) to throw piles of money from their retirement pots in the direction of a suitable maker of transfers.

* If anybody says otherwise, please tell me of a lining sheet that properly covers all possibilities regarding lining, not just boiler bands, main panels and splasher outlines, but wheel bosses, wheel rims, cab edges including cut-outs, cab window frames, round and oval firebox mudhole covers of different sizes, tender frames including cut-outs, spring holders and axleboxes etc - without requiring the purchase of several duplicate sheets (large parts of which never get used) and a marathon of cutting and piecing. Even the cherished HMRS range of 4mm LNER lettering doesn't necessarily have the composed pieces of lettering appropriately spaced for application to certain LNER models
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:37 am Given that even what was once the "build it yourself" mass market, 4mm scale, still has (for instance) no truly comprehensive lining sheet in any form for the presumably more popular LNER loco liveries*, I wouldn't think it wise to hold your breath while waiting for proper coverage of GN needs in 7mm scale - unless of course there are sufficient like-minded 7mm modellers willing (as often appears to be the case) to throw piles of money from their retirement pots in the direction of a suitable maker of transfers.

* If anybody says otherwise, please tell me of a lining sheet that properly covers all possibilities regarding lining, not just boiler bands, main panels and splasher outlines, but wheel bosses, wheel rims, cab edges including cut-outs, cab window frames, round and oval firebox mudhole covers of different sizes, tender frames including cut-outs, spring holders and axleboxes etc - without requiring the purchase of several duplicate sheets (large parts of which never get used) and a marathon of cutting and piecing. Even the cherished HMRS range of 4mm LNER lettering doesn't necessarily have the composed pieces of lettering appropriately spaced for application to certain LNER models

Fox do a very overpriced "complete" Flying Scotsman set inc Wheels. However the set I bought a couple of years ago were'nt even centred properly and over width too.They may have improved since.

I messaged Railtec as they keep asking fpor suggestions for decals, and didn't even get a reply !! .
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

As an aside, I sponsored a small sheet of GNR wagon decals for 1880 - 1905 in 4mm scale from the Old Time Workshop. With the artwork existing, presumably as soft copy, it shouldn't cost too much to get some in 7mm scale. Just an idea.

V

PS I've just found out that POW Sides do their GNR pressfix sheets in 7mm as well as 4mm.
joppyuk1
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by joppyuk1 »

Thanks for the assistance, I managed to find what I wanted from Fox.