Dublo 0-6-2T dating

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Dublo 0-6-2T dating

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Got an old 3 rail Dublo 0-6-2T on the bench for service and repair and I'm fascinated to learn how old it is. It has post war couplers, no lining in LNER green livery with the name "Hornby" cast onto the smoke box door. Oh, and no coal moulding in the bunker.

Anyone any idea where to find out more?
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: Dublo 0-6-2T dating

Post by Kestrel »

Hi

I assume you're referring to an N2. Looking at Ramsey's Catalogue, Hornby did an unlined green LNER N2 as 9596 from 1948-1949, and also a 9596 but with 'letters changed' from 1950-1953. It doesn't expand on the 'letters changed', maybe it was from the original to Gil Sans, but both versions had the same model number, EDL7.

They were also issued in GWR livery as 6699, LMS as 6917, Southern as 2594 and BR as E9560, 69567 and 69550. In the case of the GWR one, Hornby ran out of 6699 numbers for the GWR version and brought one out as 6231, which was the Duchess of Atholl's number.

Does yours actually have LNER on it? Because they did a green GWR one as early as 1938 and having Hornby on the smoke box door makes me think it might be pre war. Production of Hornby Dublo ceased in 1941 and restarted in 1947 with 'Peco style' couplers and a tell tale is that there is a notch in the buffer beam for the couplers. Pre-war models had 'flat sprung metal couplings' without a notch.

The book says "Pre-war and early post-war models did not have the model number (eg EDL7) under the running board while later ones did. On early post-war tank locomotives the maker's decal, on the back of the bunker, was a gold block with a red border and inscribed 'Hornby Meccano Ltd. Made in England'. This was replaced by a silver coloured decal with a red border in late 1949 when the motor changed." There's no reference to 'Hornby' being on the smoke box door.

I have a black BR one that is part of a goods train set that I was given for Christmas in 1955 and there's a decal on the back of the bunker as stated above. There's only the number on the front.

Depending on the condition, according to the book, yours could be worth between £110 and £175.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Dublo 0-6-2T dating

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Thanks for the help on this.

Thanks to the Hornby Railways Collectors Association I can confirm she was probably made in 1948 and may be the most valuable OO loco apart from the twin tender Trix A3 that I have had in for repair! According to the HRCA the motor changed in 1949 and the Hornby name erased from the smokebox and cast into the footplate in 1951 when the livery was changed to BR lined back.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!