Telegraph poles

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Telegraph poles

Post by Graeme Leary »

Another scenic related query.
To replicate as close as possible for a 00 layout what would correct positioning/spacing of telegraph poles running alongside tracks and on 'main lines' would they be on each side of double or more tracks? (The very few photos I've seen look as though about a 4" - 6" distance apart would be fairly true for 00).
And how would they be positioned when they come to stations, sidings and goods yards? Would they be kept in a more or less straight direction until they leave the station and are back on the main line/s?
Many thanks.
Graeme Leary
New Zealand
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Telegraph poles

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I think you will find the Telegraph poles were 25yds apart. (same as street lights)

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
John Palmer
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by John Palmer »

About 65 yards apart, reduced to 50 - 60 yards when the route follows a curve. 65 yards = 780 mm in 4mm : 1' scale.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Also to note is the min height of wires.

The info I have from the GPO is.

A min height for crossing a railway line was 22ft measured to the lowest wire
at mid span at max summer temp, and that went to 30ft in goods yards where mobile
cranes operated, 20ft for crossing roads.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks all. Painted and Installed 1st pack of Dapol's CO24 (18 poles) - just another 6 packs to get to finish project!
Graeme
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Might be a bit late as you have started doing your model, but the book "Railway Signalling And Communications" by Tattersall the LNER signalling engineer is a mine of information on stuff like as it actually tells you how to install the real thing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... s&_sacat=0