The night Scotsman Welwyn G C

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER FL
NER Y7 0-4-0T

The night Scotsman Welwyn G C

Post by LNER FL »

Thought I might try here. I am modelling OO gauge LNER circa late 30s and am trying to find information on the night Scotsman.
Train make up etc. Am hoping to model most of Welwyn garden city at that time "bit ambitious"
Any help would be appreciated.
My brother was second man on a BR Sulzer in and around Kings Cross he got me started on the LNER and I have been fond of it ever since.
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: The night Scotsman Welwyn G C

Post by Daddyman »

Have you tried asking on Tony Wright's thread on RMWEb? There seem to be a few people there - including Tony - who are knowledgeable about consists, and very happy to share their knowledge. Here's the link:
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... s/page-689
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

My scribbled note for the up Night Scotsman is: (from North?) Brake third, 6 to 8 sleepers for roughly equal numbers of first and third berths, Restaurant between first and third opens, BCK, BG. Usually 13 or 14 coaches. So a little vague, hope others have something better.

WGC station. Is large. 1100 yards between 20th mile and Hunters Bridges which are the only visual break points; admittedly quite impressive as it serves what looks like a six track main line (Luton and Dunstable branch to the West, Hertford branch to the East, flanking the regular four track for those who don't know it). And it's practically the full mile if you want the Hertford branch diverging Eastwards, (desireable for operation as it had a lot of factory sidings off it.) Compressing it is not easy, I know this because I tried and found it intractable. There's too little character to latch onto...

For it is a dull planned layout that didn't evolve, but was designed for functionality and constructed in one go to a plan that still recognisably exists. Some would say the station's dullness is appropriate to the town. As one wag put it: 'What your Mother would have designed as a nice, neat and tidy place to live, where everyone behaves politely and rationally' - can you see what drove local boy Simon Pegg to major on zombies and other weirdery in his fillums?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I have a few late 1930s CWPs - courtesy of Robert Carroll, whose Yahoo group is the best source of these things - but find nothing marked 'Night Scotsman'. I assume this is an unofficial title, but what service did it apply to?
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

The Night Scotsman was the 10.25pm departure from King's Cross, around this time. Train 820 Down in summer 1939 WTT.

It is so labelled in both the 1938 and 1939 summer Carriage Working Books.

Below is a page from the Summer 1938 CWB, courtesy of Robert Carroll, with the Diagrams added on the LHS, where known.
ECML Night Scotsman summer 1938.jpg
Hope this helps,

John
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Is there by chance a record of which locomotives pulled the 'Night Scotsman' in 1939?

Pete
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

The Newcastle Brake Van, having looked at previous carriage workings might well be a Diagram 44.

greenglade I think Tommy Knox' Pacifics site is your best bet. http://www.lner-pacifics.me.uk/

John
LNER FL
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by LNER FL »

greenglade wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:09 pm Is there by chance a record of which locomotives pulled the 'Night Scotsman' in 1939?

Pete
I found a photo of A1 Woolwinder leaving Kings cross with it, not sure of period.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Thank's John, I've sent him an e-mail..

cheers

Pete