Numbers suitable for the Hornby Thompson O1

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Numbers suitable for the Hornby Thompson O1

Post by Nova »

I currently have a Hornby Thompson O1 freshly repainted in gloss black and I also have some Fox Transfers' LNER post war lettering so I was wondering which numbers for the O1 would be suitable for the locomotive modeled by hornby. I'm recall hearing that some O1s had differing smokebox doors hence why I'm asking here
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Numbers suitable for the Hornby Thompson O1

Post by mick b »

What version of the O1 ? Year , shed or area ?
Nova

Post by Nova »

mick b wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:06 am What version of the O1 ? Year , shed or area ?
the model started out as LNER era with B1 type-smokebox door #3755 but I want to use a different number to make it more personal. year and area isn't so much a priority but if that narrows it down then Doncaster with the condition as between between 1948-1960s (which ever example would have carried such features for the longest period would be preferable) but with the omission of the smokebox numberplate (for reasons explained in my layout thread)
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

Phil
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Phil »

Nova wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:23 pm
mick b wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:06 am What version of the O1 ? Year , shed or area ?
the model started out as LNER era with B1 type-smokebox door #3755 but I want to use a different number to make it more personal. year and area isn't so much a priority but if that narrows it down then Doncaster with the condition as between between 1948-1960s (which ever example would have carried such features for the longest period would be preferable) but with the omission of the smokebox numberplate (for reasons explained in my layout thread)
This is a bit of a minefield since few appear to have been allocated to Doncaster and even then only for a matter of days when newly rebuilt to O1. Your stated aim of using transfers correct for LNER post war lettering and number narrows things down to possible a single engine. Number 3594 was rebuilt from O4/1 and was 'to traffic' on 22/11/1947 and allocated to Doncaster but only until 18/1/1948 when it moved to Frodingham.

By 1951 the 58 O1 engines were concentrated on just 2 sheds. Annesley (53) and Tyne Dock (5). This was the state of play until 1957 when 25 Annesley engines went to March and 5 to Colwick. Full details as ever in 'Green book vol 6B and Yeadon vol 24B

Finding an example using post was letters and number styles is not easy. Some renumbering was done at sheds rather than works and cab side numbers in post war style could be found paired with block shaded pre-war letters with just 'NE' on the tender.
Nova

Post by Nova »

Phil wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:43 pm
This is a bit of a minefield since few appear to have been allocated to Doncaster and even then only for a matter of days when newly rebuilt to O1. Your stated aim of using transfers correct for LNER post war lettering and number narrows things down to possible a single engine. Number 3594 was rebuilt from O4/1 and was 'to traffic' on 22/11/1947 and allocated to Doncaster but only until 18/1/1948 when it moved to Frodingham.

By 1951 the 58 O1 engines were concentrated on just 2 sheds. Annesley (53) and Tyne Dock (5). This was the state of play until 1957 when 25 Annesley engines went to March and 5 to Colwick. Full details as ever in 'Green book vol 6B and Yeadon vol 24B

Finding an example using post was letters and number styles is not easy. Some renumbering was done at sheds rather than works and cab side numbers in post war style could be found paired with block shaded pre-war letters with just 'NE' on the tender.
If it moved to Frodingham. Even for a short time then it's even better as it's a local shed to where I live (I'm actually just south of the Viaduct leading into Scunthorpe from Doncaster). even if it was only there for 3-ish years it still makes it even more personal to me :D

thank you for the information

Phil
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Phil »

Nova wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:13 pm
Phil wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:43 pm

If it moved to Frodingham. Even for a short time then it's even better as it's a local shed to where I live (I'm actually just south of the Viaduct leading into Scunthorpe from Doncaster). even if it was only there for 3-ish years it still makes it even more personal to me :D

thank you for the information
Alas only at Frodingham for a month. This period was notoriously unstable for shed allocations and numbering. Few others ever went to Frodingham, some for a matter of days and even then not in post war numbering guise. :(
Nova

Post by Nova »

Phil wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:49 pm

Alas only at Frodingham for a month. This period was notoriously unstable for shed allocations and numbering. Few others ever went to Frodingham, some for a matter of days and even then not in post war numbering guise. :(
shame, still, my reasoning still stands and it's numbered now anyway