Oxford Dean Goods

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Oxford Dean Goods

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I am sure many will be aware that this 0-6-0 has now gone on sale. (Whatever its defects may be, the fact of a new RTR manufacturer offering an 0-6-0 as their second loco is encouraging in my view, we need more of the ordinary 'small stuff'.)

But of what relevance is this to the LNER? This loco is on a standard 'Ramsbottom/Crewe' six coupled goods wheelbase, (nominal 5' wheel, wb 7'3"+8'3") and as such the mechanism has a broader potential application to other designs from shops which adopted these dimensions. It has a good layout for complete concealment in a small, low centre line boilered loco, preserving the air gap between boiler underside and frame tops, and is mechanically good by early accounts with a 50:1 reduction for suitably slow running. To an idle bar-steward such as myself, who will adapt a mechanism where possible rather than build one, this is good news.

I have my eye on its suitability for the long surviving Stirling/Ivatt J3 0-6-0 (began life as Stirling GNR J4 class) and it will also suit an LNER J4. There may well be other LNER constituent 0-6-0 classes it would suit, those with more knowledge of what other works got up to can advise.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Oxford Dean Goods

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

It's an interesting observation regarding the chassis dimensions and their suitability for the older Ivatt and Stirling six-coupled goods.

Although there's similarity at a glance it's a slight pity that the body and chassis together won't really do for either a Basher or a Bulldog (ex GC J8 and J12 classes). Outside frames would be required for a start, and even without pedantry regarding wheelbase dimensions the J8 would require a different running plate raised in curves over each crankpin, while the J12 would require smaller wheels.

A powered chassis, otherwise similar, with 7' 3" + 9' O" wheelbase would be extremely welcome.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

O happy day, there is now the very sweet running Hornby J50 mechanism on 7'3"+9'. Of course a RTR J6 would be the bees knees in so many ways.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

whilst it might have the correct wheelbase, it will be quite a pain to fettle it when fitting 5ft 8 drivers for a J1 and J2, or even 5 ft for a J5,
basically you might well have to chop of about 2mm from many surfaces to ensure footplate heights are correct.

Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

You've presumably seen one "topless"?

I found this in "another place":
Chassis 5ft2whl, 7ft3 & 9ft wb.jpg
Appears to follow the current fashion a la J15 and J50 for putting the motor in the boiler space, making it impossible to use the same chassis in a tender loco with a low running plate and high-mounted boiler, since the scope for daylight under the boiler is restricted to the amount applicable to the loco for which the chassis was originally designed. While kit makers and scratchbuilders have done it routinely for years, mass producers, almost without exception, seem to be allergic to the idea of developing a design that stands the motor upright in the usual firebox position, where it is hidden from view in either a high or low mounted boiler.

Are there so many surfaces to cut down in order to fit a running plate at the proper height if/when larger wheels are fitted?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

useful picture Graeme, and you are right it would appear only front and rear to remove bits from but going to mean some interesting work
to create a solid footplate for a GNR loco, or indeed an LNWR one.

Paul
williewhizz
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by williewhizz »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:36 am O happy day, there is now the very sweet running Hornby J50 mechanism on 7'3"+9'. Of course a RTR J6 would be the bees knees in so many ways.
Just to clarify, are you suggesting that a J50 chassis would form acceptable underpinnings for a J6, please?

I have a very elderly and rather wonky Nu-Cast model with one of those solid blocks of white metal as a chassis (my first attempt at kit-building), and if the J50 would provide an acceptable modern and DCC-ready substitute, that would be really interesting!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The J50 wheelbase may be right, but you'd have to saw off or otherwise remove wide cast weights from both ends of the chassis and you'd finish up with the low-slung motor housing (hidden by the tanks of the J50) showing in what should be the space under the J6 boiler...
It was considered as an option under one of my resin bodies, but not adopted.

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Might be a bit drastic with the J50 chassis, but lose the motor and go tender drive :mrgreen:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

williewhizz wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:30 pm
Hatfield Shed wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:36 am O happy day, there is now the very sweet running Hornby J50 mechanism on 7'3"+9'. Of course a RTR J6 would be the bees knees in so many ways.
Just to clarify, are you suggesting that a J50 chassis would form acceptable underpinnings for a J6, please?

I have a very elderly and rather wonky Nu-Cast model with one of those solid blocks of white metal as a chassis (my first attempt at kit-building), and if the J50 would provide an acceptable modern and DCC-ready substitute, that would be really interesting!
As ever 'it all depends'. I can live with 'airspace intrusion' if the mechanism is a good one. That is the basis on which I stuffed a Bach J11 mechanism into an old J39 body to replace a well and truly worn out split chassis mechanism. Unfortunately the gear tower is visible, but then again a loco that doesn't go at all is definitely of no use for pulling trains. A quick and simple fix like that, which can be obtained for relatively little money, I'll compromise alright. A little cottonwool for the escaping vapour from leaking valves masks the scene of crime...

As earlier posters rightly explain you would have to saw lumps off the J50 mechanism and accept airspace intrusions between boiler and frame, and ideally fit wheels of 2mm greater diameter in fitting it in a J6. Is it possible to rejig the drive line onto one of the end axles and improve matters that way? Or would we do better to try the K1 mechanism? Right wheel diameter, centre wheelset out of position by a scale 3", again probable intrusion into under boiler airspace.

As you have an existing kitbuilt model - presumably on kit wheels like Romfords, and maybe with a recyclable motor and/or gearbox? - the better option might be a new etched frame kit to take these components?
williewhizz
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by williewhizz »

Thanks chaps. For one glorious moment there I had visions of a nice 'quick fix' with little more than a bit of fettling required. Sadly, it was not to be ... :(