5" gauge model of 4472 Flying Scotsman

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: 5" gauge model of 4472 Flying Scotsman

Post by burnie »

Looking good Pete
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Just eccentric rods and radius rods and your in business.... valve gear wise that is?

Paul
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Thanks burnie....a few more bits, lifting arms and I may go the whole hog and build the reverser and reach rod before running on air Paul...we shall see...:)

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Hi everyone, yes I know, it's been a while...my apologies for providing no updates since early October and being quiet about it. Some of you guys will know the reasons why, but without going into detail my health took a dive last October which meant I couldn't do any machining and nor could I drive. Things have improved and I now feel able to continue with 4472, I've even been for a drive too, things must be looking up...🙂
Ok, so to business, in the last update I said that the next part would be the radius rods and so they are. This is a reasonably short update for me as I ease myself back into the task at hand. It's a good start though and the critical parts have been worked out and machined. i also hope to in the near future cover the making of the ashpan which will be made from 1.5 mm stainless steel. considering how much swarf I'll be making for the next stage of the radius rods I'm very much looking forward to being able to do a little fabricating for a change. Thanks for looking in chaps...

4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/radius-rods/

Pete
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'm glad you are feeling a bit better. Good luck. More progress will be good to see.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Glad you are back Peter, hope you can now get things to the end of the line

Take care
Paul
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Thanks guys

She should have been running on air by now, here's hoping to see her turnover by this summer...

Kind regards

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Time for an update, looks like it will be 4 entries all told for the radius rods, this will (should) include fitting in part 4. Here's part 2 which sees the front face finished in machining terms just requiring final polishing which will be done when all machining is complete.

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/radius-rods-part-2/

Pete
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

Looking good Pete, glad you are on the mend, our health is something we none of us can control, I'm in hospital on Monday for surgery, always comes at the most inconvenient times eh?
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Hi Burnie

Sorry to hear that, hope all goes well.. yes our health is often taken for granted. I was feeling like a spring chicken last week after the doctor tried steroids which certainly did the job. However, things always seem to take a twist, yesterday I tested positive for covid, I've done well avoiding it over the last 2+ years but it's now caught up with me. So all work has stopped on 4472 yet again, I'm told that days 5 to 7 are the worse, I'm only on day 2 or 3 and feeling very much under the weather. Fingers crossed that I can beat this even with all my health issues.... positive thinking they say... I have plenty of that...:)

Good luck with the surgery sir....

Pete
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Good luck to you both, always sad to hear of those with existing conditions being made worse by this little bugger covid.

paul
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

Thanks John and I hope you make a full and speedy recovery Pete, I had my pre op medical yesterday and all is ok, I have to go for a PCR test on Saturday, if clear I should get 5 days in hospital and home in time for Easter eggs if I'm lucky.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Good to hear things are looking ok for your op sir, and thanks to John for the well wishes, hopefully, we'll all be bouncing around like spring chickens soon...:)

Take care chaps

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Evening all, this is the 3rd blog entry for the radius rods. Yes, I know that last time I said that I hoped to do this the following week, alas the bug finally caught up with me which meant 2 weeks down a short spell in hospital... I think that I've had more than my fair share of health issues over the last 6 months now, no more, please... Ok, so moving on, here's the 3rd part, the last part will show the rods/expansion links fitted along with the lifting arms....hopefully, that won't be too far away...🙂

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/radius-rods-part-3/

Pete
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

Hi Pete, glad you're up and running again, seems my operation was a success too, onwards and upwards.