5" gauge model of 4472 Flying Scotsman

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: 5" gauge model of 4472 Flying Scotsman

Post by burnie »

This really is coming along well, some very fine engineering, I would not have the patience, I should have the skills, but this really is a labour of love.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

burnie wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:00 pm This really is coming along well, some very fine engineering, I would not have the patience, I should have the skills, but this really is a labour of love.
Thankyou Burnie, that's very kind of you, yes I guess you could call it a labour of love, well at least it keeps me out of the pub so gets SWIMBO's approval...:)

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Evening all, here's part 1 of the blog entry covering the draincock fitting. The second part which will cover the outside cylinders should be ready by end of next week. I have included another video showing the Bowden cable route and working.

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/drainco ... ge-part-1/

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

In tonight's blog update I have worked out the draincock linkage and tested it for the L/H side, I'll finish the R/H side tomorrow, it will just be a mirror of the left so I have no doubts that it will work just as well. Lot's of other bits and pieces done too, details within.

There's another video on this one too..

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/cylinde ... nd-tested/

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Not a blog update as such, I'll add this picture to the last update where it belongs but show it here so it's not missed by you guys.

I have now fabricated the R/H draincock linkage and made the drop pipes, I'll shorten these a little later to be closer to the prototype, the nuts are a little large which adds to the oversized look so I'll also shorten these. I'm pleased with how they look compared to full size, you'll note that I have only placed one relief valve roughly in position for effect. I'll leave these off until final assembly as they can't be fitted until the cladding is in place. I may also thin down the main link between the two draincocks to be closer to scale, if so I'll only do this on the outside cylinders, the middle was deliberately made larger as it's not as easily accessible once the model is completed and can't be seen.
I am also going to add ferrules to the cab end of the Bowden cable (the front is already held by ferrules) to remove the possibility of the cable slipping while operating all three of the cylinder draincocks, this is something that I noted during setting up and ironing out restricted areas until it operated smoothly, better safe than sorry. On this note, I changed one of the cables as it had become a little frayed on the cab end, this was a worthwhile exercise as it proved that the cables can be easily changed in service.
So on final assembly, the cables will be set and held by the two 10 BA bolts and then have ferrules attached to ensure the cables can't slip. I won't do this yet as the cab needs to be removed again which means disassembling the handle which may change the tautness of the cables, so this will be another of those many final jobs to be done. A picture to show how things are looking....

Oh and just to add that the chassis is now sitting level...:)

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

A little something in the pipeline, that well-known fellow Model Engineer and cohort in doing the CAD work for me John Baguley (baggo) has been busy drawing up the reverser stand for me...🙂 Drawing is now at Malcolm's for cutting and I have printed off some PDF files that John kindly sent me to check that all was good. You can see for yourselves how well the parts fit. When cut in steel there will be different thicknesses involved as per Don's. When comparing to full size the height looks just right. It will be a while before you see this assembled in steel but this should at least give a taste of what's to come, you may recall, that I already have the brass etch for the cut-off indicator which will be fully functional. In other news, the cylinder relief valves are nearly complete, in fact, I'm going to spend this evening in front of the TV doing the final filing/polishing of the parts ready for assembly. All being well, beginning of next week I'll post the latest blog update covering both their fabrication and hopefully their successful testing/setting too... fingers crossed...🙂
To conclude, a big thank you to John for his excellent work.

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Hi guys

The latest blog entry covers the cylinder relief valves and them being set at 110 PSi.. 10% above boiler working pressure. I have recorded another video which I think maybe a bit long-winded while I played around getting the first valve set but at least it shows what was involved. The other 5 valves were done very quickly. I will tidy up the front adjusting screws later, I may even change a few cosmetics but for now, the valves work which was the important thing for this particular exercise.

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/cylinder-relief-valves/

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Hi guys
I've changed a few parts on the relief valves, as mentioned last time, I planned to tidy up the adjusting screws a little, well I did a little more than that after doing some long pressure tests. Not much changed but details can be found on the same link as last time. I could probably remove the protruding part of the adjuster screw completely to make it very much as per prototype but think it prudent to leave alone for now.

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Hi guys/gals

This isn't an update so much as a behind the scenes introduction to my recently acquired test boiler which once tested, cleaned down and with some new fittings will be used to test all of the backhead fittings, clacks, safety valves and injectors as they are built. It has also been pointed out to me that this monster should easily be able to test the chassis in steam straight after she is set up on air. That could prove to be a worthwhile bonus in getting the timing right from the offset, we shall see..:)

Next update shouldn't be too long away, it will contain the fitting of the 3 cylinder slide bars.

Pete
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

It's surprising what is available out there.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Evening all, it's been a few weeks but I have now uploaded the latest blog entry. This time it's the fitting of the slide bars, well two of them, I'll fit the last bar over the weekend. Note to self, I need scale sized fingers...🙂

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/slide-bars-2/

Pete

PS; It certainly is Burnie... luckily for me...:)
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Evening all, a new entry for the blog although I have added this to the 'news' section as it's not actually part of the build but important none the less. This entry covers the building/design of my weighbridge, very simple to do and can be made to fit anyone's loco stand.

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/weighbr ... l-weights/

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Mersey508138
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Mersey508138 »

She's really coming along now the boiler is in place and looks fantastic, I wish I had your skills
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Mersey508138 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:12 pm She's really coming along now the boiler is in place and looks fantastic, I wish I had your skills
Thanks...this picture was taken about 18 months ago..lots more work done since but currently the boiler is off while I concentrate on finishing the motion etc...hope to have her running on air middle of rhe new year...

Merry Xmas..

Pete