5" gauge model of 4472 Flying Scotsman

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: 5" gauge model of 4472 Flying Scotsman

Post by greenglade »

Hi guys

One or two of you will already be aware of this but thought that I would give a heads up to all on this festive day.

Back in the summer, I was in discussion with Martin Evans regarding publishing 4472's build in the Model Engineer magazine. I can now announce that barring any unforeseen issues the series begins from the 1st Jan 2021, papers have been agreed and signed.
Diane will be sub-editing and there may be a special day/event coming up in 2023, we shall have to wait and see if this comes to fruition, it would be a very proud day for me if it did. Needless to say, this series will run for some time, years as Martin has told me, my job now is to keep going and get her finished close to 2023. There will still be work to do after then I'm sure but I'll get her as presentable as possible and at least looking finished, there should only be small details left to do by then, fingers crossed.

I hope you guys don't get too bored seeing a repeat of what has been posted here over the years although most updates now have been rewritten for the blog. This forum has been with me for some time now and I thank all of you for your help, guidance and support during those years.

Merry Xmas

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

I wonder who this Flying Scotsman model build series which begins in the ME today belongs too...🙂

Pete
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

So it was the fame that you were seeking, rather than the completed and working locomotive :?: :wink:
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:08 pm So it was the fame that you were seeking, rather than the completed and working locomotive :?: :wink:
Haha...I already have fame with mutiple film credits...:)

This time I'll just be happy to complete the model and if my series helps/encourages others to do the same, then thats great. I also need to get the loco finished so that I can get on with building those Gresley teaks to go with it. Just need to get drawings sorted.

Pete
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

I hope to be able to see her running, will she be pulling the train to Edinburgh?
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

burnie wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:26 pm I hope to be able to see her running, will she be pulling the train to Edinburgh?
Ahh...well I certainly have a wish to have her pulling the 1938 Flying Scotsman train rake. .alas, I may get 1 or 2 of the carriages built if I can find the drawings but I can't see me living long enough for the entire rake.

It's a dream though...:)

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Tonight's update (sorry for the delay, I had a break over Xmas) covers part 1 of the crosshead fabrication. In Don's words, he states that the trickiest part on the whole model was probably the steam sander bodies? well tricky maybe but the crossheads are going to take some time to complete and probably as much work as the coupling rods with their fish bellied profile which included the fluting. Anyway, here's part one which covers getting the blanks ready for profiling.

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/crossheads-part-1/

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Part 2 of the crossheads, these parts may take a few more entries before completed, I'll probably throw in the drop links too. In this entry, we have the slipper oilways, gudgeon-pin holes and piston rod hole. A few more changes from Don's drawings.

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/crossheads-part-2/

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Part 3 of the crosshead construction.. we have a long way to go before these are finished but we do have some progress...🙂

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/crossheads-part-3/

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Crossheads Part 4... I'm now at a stage where I can breathe a little easier, I have finished the machining for the front area (rear will be the last part to do). From this stage on it's all down to hand grinding/filing and polishing, I have made a very small start at the end of this entry. On a footnote, can anyone tell me what a full-size cotter pin measures? preferably that as fitted to an LNER/BR Pacific? thanks

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/crossheads-part-4/

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Crossheads Part 5... there's a lot of work in this one and I still have a long way to go. I was hoping to have finished the crosshead and mounting plates for this entry but the lathe decided to shred its V belt which meant I couldn't turn up the last 'button' required. probably a good thing really as this entry was getting a bit long. Hope you find it of interest.

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/crossheads-part-5/

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

After 4 weeks slog the crosshead bodies are more or less complete, I have forgotten to curve the top edge of the sides which I'll take a look at tomorrow.

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/crossheads-part-6/

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

The crossheads are very close to being called finished (for now that is, there will be some fine polishing for all parts made to date at the end) As can be seen the oil reservoir has been made and bolted to the slipper. I decided to silver solder the inner bolt heads as the model doesn't need 4 practical bolts to hold the reservoir on, makes life easier. The top side face of the crosshead where it touches the slidebar has also been rounded off as mentioned last time. I have made a 5/32 x 40 oil plug with a small central hole to avoid a vacuum which would stop the oil flowing.
The last job to do here other than the 'drop link', is a small copper pipe which comes out of the bottom of the reservoir, is angled approx 45 degrees towards the front (others will be handed) and then snakes back to the centre of the gudgeon pin. I hope to post a blog update covering all of this end of the week, count this as a taster...🙂

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

good day, all.. well, I think that I can finally say that the crossheads are completed. I still have the drop links to make but they are separate parts, I'll make those next. I do have one final operation to do which I detailed in the blog, it's only cross-drilling the little end journals, that will be my first job Monday.
I also listed the next stage of the build, when that work is done, (could take a while) I'll have pistons connected with the wheels, another important milestone reached.

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/crosshe ... ng-system/

Pete
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I am again seriously impressed, and now more than ever painfully aware of the amount of detail missing from "very good" small scale models...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.