Locomotives for ECML

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

AKinghorn
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Locomotives for ECML

Post by AKinghorn »

Hi All,

Hoping for a bit of advice here.

Can anyone name a good resource online or offline for finding out locomotives that would pass through or call at Durham/Darlington/Newcastle in the 1930's? I have struggled to find such a resource.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Locomotives for ECML

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Hello,

Your're certainly asking on the right website! The NE area isn't my pet topic but there are plenty of regulars on here who will know the details you require. Presumably this is for modelling purposes, hence the question in the model railways section of the forum rather than the locos and rolling stock section?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
AKinghorn
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by AKinghorn »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:42 pm Presumably this is for modelling purposes, hence the question in the model railways section of the forum rather than the locos and rolling stock section?
Hi. Thanks a lot for replying.

Yes it is for modelling purposes, whilst I will run locos that didn't run near my desired location I do want to know what would realistically run for modelling purposes. Always got to have a bit of realism to a layout IMHO. But appreciate everyone is different. :D
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Are you wanting specific locomotives or general classes? Many of the general classes can be found on the main pages - just check on those built by the NER pre-1923, as well as those built by the LNER post-1923.

For a more specific search, loco allocations for nearby sheds for the 1930's would identify individual members of classes, but you'd also need to be aware of those used on long-distance trains may not have used local power - thinking in terms of the Coronation, Silver Jubilee and possibly Flying Scotsman trains.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

For mainline works on passenger trains, it is easy to collate details of A3's and mid 30's A4's, but there would also be local trains that
would be often behind ex NER locos still. The RCTS green books give some details, but working timetables would be the real source to
check on. It is likely that things would not have changed too much even into the 1950's so if you can find those details it would help.

The big variety would be the goods trains, both loose coupled, and vacuum braked which would involve pre grouping and post grouping
locos.

Your question suggests that you are going to build a main line station, even if not Durham, Darlington or Newcastle, but any more data
would be useful.

Paul
AKinghorn
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by AKinghorn »

Manxman1831 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:28 pm Are you wanting specific locomotives or general classes? Many of the general classes can be found on the main pages - just check on those built by the NER pre-1923, as well as those built by the LNER post-1923.

For a more specific search, loco allocations for nearby sheds for the 1930's would identify individual members of classes, but you'd also need to be aware of those used on long-distance trains may not have used local power - thinking in terms of the Coronation, Silver Jubilee and possibly Flying Scotsman trains.
Thanks for this. I am running several A4s which fall into the category you mentioned. Actually, your post is quite fitting as express and long distance goods trains are what I really want to know about, or to be more specific the locos. :)
AKinghorn
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by AKinghorn »

john coffin wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:20 pm Your question suggests that you are going to build a main line station, even if not Durham, Darlington or Newcastle, but any more data
would be useful.

Paul
Hi Paul,

Sure, no problem! I am thinking south of Durham, towards Darlington. Consider stations like Ferryhill, Chester-le-Street, and Bradbury as examples. Not brave enough to model somewhere like Durham or the grandeur of Newcastle... YET :P

Hope this helps, thanks.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

The Ken Hoole title 'The East Coast main line since 1925' (pub Ian Allan) - wholly focussed on the NER area - will provide a useful overview in five year 'bites' to introduce the subject. Should think it will be readily found s/h.

While some of the LNER build of larger standard types are available RTR (A1/A3/A4/D49/J39/K3/V1/V2) it will be kit building for the majority of NER classes then much in evidence, only the recently released Q6 to give some NER traction character at present, and the J72 for station pilot purposes.

Also absent from RTR, any NER coach stock, and their highly characteristic coal hoppers; both of which are essential.

I would thoroughly recommend obtaining copies of 'The Big Four in Colour 1936 - 50' , and 'LNER Locomotives in Colour 1936 - 1948' also. There are pictures from the NER area in these collections, and taken together these are the best colour references available for 'how it was'.