Little Benton Sidings, Newcastle

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

rowanj
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Little Benton Sidings, Newcastle

Post by rowanj »

I'm unsure if this is the correct thread for this request, but here goes..

I'm building a shortened representation of the stretch of ECML at Little Benton Sidings, between 2 bridges north of Newcastle, where I spent my youth trainspotting. So, by definition, all we were interested in was loco numbers and paid no attention to what is now important !!!

I do have a few photos, but am particularly interested in any photos or other details of the semaphore signals, Little Benton North and South signal boxes, and any other lineside structures - fogmans huts, etc. The period modelled will be mid-50's - mid 60's, . On the model. the sidings themselves will remain in situ.

Thanks

John
lar1976
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: Little Benton Sidings, Newcastle

Post by lar1976 »

Hi, the book Tickets not Transferable https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tickets-Not-Tr ... 0955275865 has a selection of pictures around little Benton as well as locomotives based at Heaton, there are also pictures in the area around Benton Quarry, Forest Hall and Killingworth.
rowanj
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by rowanj »

little benton north.jpg
Thanks. I have Tickets Not transferable, and its a great little book, with some great photos of mid-1950's round the area north of Newcastle. the k2 at Heaton is a good example. The author was part of a trainspotting gang of youths at the spot I'm going to model. they called it Redhill, to us a few years later it was the Powder Monkey.
There is a good pic of an A3 on a Glasgow train passing Little Benton North on Railscot - an easy Google search under Little Benton Sidings, but copyrighted. However the loco smoke obscures the signal post on the junction - was it round or lattice? It also shows a starter I knew nothing about which seems to protect the exit from the siding nearest the Up mainline. Does this seem right?
Any help really appreciated.
John
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

I cant be specific here but I'm sure this location has appeared in a photo feature in British Railways Illustrated mag.
Quite when I'm not sure but I seem to recall it covers the wartime modifications to the loops etc.
Good Luck
Eric
rowanj
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by rowanj »

Thank you Eric. I've tracked down the articles to Volume 3 Ed 4 and 7 from 93/4. Neither of these editions are available via back order, so if anyone has them and can make the articles available, I'd be really grateful.

John
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Hiya John
I'm off to the steam bash at Barrow Hill this weekend so will have a look out for these issues
Best. Eric