Founder of Oxford Diecast named as new CEO of Hornby

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Founder of Oxford Diecast named as new CEO of Hornby

Post by Nova »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/201 ... -new-boss/

Simon Kohler has also returned to Hornby

There are some interesting times ahead. will the Oxford Rail range be sold under the Hornby label I wonder?
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Founder of Oxford Diecast named as new CEO of Hornby

Post by nzpaul »

I think the most valuable thing these new/old blokes could bring to the company would be a nice straight ruler....then they could loan it the factory making the A3s.
Straight A3= save the company, make millions,life is good, world peace. it's pretty simple really :wink:

cheers
Paul
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

I've seen a picture of the A3 on one of the FB groups...personally, it's unsaleable in that condition....

Pete
Nova

Post by Nova »

the first thing they could do would be to replace all the tired 70/80s era Hornby and ex-airfix wagons with Oxford Rails more detailed wagons. issues with prototypical detail on some wagons aside they represent a much finer looking wagon compared to what Hornby are currently offering. further to this the older toolings could potentially be transferred to the railroad range (which is a much more suitable range to sell them under) and sold with basic liveries at somewhere around 7 quid each.

presumably the likes of the GWR 0-6-0 getting incorporated into hornby's range means that production issues that I've been hearing about might well be sorted in due course with Hornby's greater experience selling steam locomotives
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Nova wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:05 pm the first thing they could do would be to replace all the tired 70/80s era Hornby and ex-airfix wagons...
Selectively. Some of the Airfix origin items - look at the lowmac as an example - are far from 'tired'.

But that's detail, first we have to wait and see what the new broom rearranges on a large scale. Coming from his own solvent and profitable business to a leaking ship isn't going to be easy, and my guess is significant change to rapidly amend the situation. Not likely to be greeted with universal joy.
Nova

Post by Nova »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:18 am my guess is significant change to rapidly amend the situation. Not likely to be greeted with universal joy.
withdrawal of the A1/A3 toolings being one example. there are members here longing for its retirement due to warped components. those outside this forum would be less pleased about it.

I just hope that if they do retire the A1/A3 they announce an immediate replacement of a similar tier to the new Duchess

kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

It is now 4 years since the Simba Dickie Group (via a subsiduary entity) purchased a majority shareholding in the Marklin business.
Marklin control 60% of the model train market in Europe, with the LGB, Minitrix, Trix and Marklin brands.
Simba Dickie, a toy company, was formed in 1982, with brands including Schuco, Majorette, Tamiya, Solido and BIG.
So the change in ownership represents a more contemporary control of the toy train company set up in 1859.

In a similar manner, the change (albeit at executive level thus far) at Hornby may auger well for the future.

Kimball