Gladiator LNER/BR J6

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Gladiator LNER/BR J6

Post by Robpulham »

Today has been a brilliant day on quite a few fronts but the main one being that I successfully soldered the crank axle up without any issues.

I followed advice given to me by fellow modeller Nick Dunhill, which was to use Bakers Fluid as the flux to solder to the steel axle, to replace the piece of steel rod provided to line up the cranks and eccentric with a length of similar diameter brass rod which being more flexible allows the cranks and eccentrics to be squashed tighter together and positioned better. And finally, to wrap wet tissue around the eccentric sheaves to stop the soldered end coming adrift with the heat.

It couldn't have gone any smoother, I spent some time making sure they were all lined up correctly and orientated against one of the flat edges of the axle end. I grip the other end in a biggish pin vice applied the Bakers fluids from a bulb type dropper and some short lengths of 180 solder curled slightly around the axle either side of the cranks then gently applied heat with the microflame until the solder flashed. While it was cooling I couldn't resist moving the eccentrics slightly to make sure that they hadn't become solid.

All was well Phew!!!

Next job is clean them up and then before cutting out the section of axle I think that I am going to drill and pin the cranks. I know that Nick doesn't bother as they aren't under any real load but I think that I will be belt and braces for this my first go.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

In between adding bits to the GCR Tank, After drilling and pinning the cranks which was thankfully uneventful. I cut out the axle in between the crank webs and refitted the connecting rods. I had to file a little of the sides of one one the connecting rods but very quickly all was rotating smoothly. So much so that I made a short video. Sadly my camera didn't focus too well on my hands but you get the idea.

https://youtu.be/gvvgu-ix_GM
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Modelling time has been in a bit short supply so far this week but I have managed a few bits and pieces. The key one being, on the back of a delivery of a second set of globe lubricator castings for the J6, I got them fitted. I had to order some more because I have misplaced the first lot but I am sure that they will turn up in due course...

Still a bit of cleaning up to do under there.

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

One of the few remaining details to add to the body are the injectors which sit under the footplate tucked away behind the cab steps. From all the photos that I have of J6's seeing what they actually look like is a real problem. Then I remembered that I had taken a few photos of the Injectors on the side of the preserved J52 while it lived at Shildon.

While I have a couple of good side views they don't show the pipes and how they fit.

Then by pure chance I was looking through some photos that I took in the dark hall at York and found that I had indeed taken photos of each end

By cross referencing these with the end that's visible on some better lit J6 photos I was able to confirm to my satisfaction that these are the same type of injector fitted to the J6 Now all I need to do is work out how to scale them to size - Despite taking quite a few shots at both locations none of them are side on allowing scaling from a known dimension.
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

Robpulham wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:06 pm Now all I need to do is work out how to scale them to size - Despite taking quite a few shots at both locations none of them are side on allowing scaling from a known dimension.
I don't know if this is any help but I've attached a section of a drawing showing the measurement for the lining on a tender (Doncaster drawing-Description of painting for standard goods engines) checking against a J52 lining drawing it is very similar. this might help with some dimensions.
Section of lining.JPG
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Dave,

I hadn't thought of taking dimensions from the lining but that should work as good as any other dimension.

Thanks again
Regards Rob
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

I have a GA which shows the Injector pipe run but gives no definate size for it, Accurate Scaling is difficult with the most accurate I could give being 1"-1 1/4" OD.
I'm not sure that scales the same as from the lining.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Dave,

I have just been pointed at a decent side on view of the J52 so I am going to download it and see if I can get something from that.