Gladiator LNER/BR J6

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Gladiator LNER/BR J6

Post by Robpulham »

I haven't managed any modelling today but I had a really productive day at the bench yesterday. I will appologise in advance that this post is going to be a bit photo intensive.

I started by cutting the recess in the firebox top for the safety valves to sit.

The eagle eyed amongst you will note that I rose to the challenge of the angle beading around the cab/firebox joint. I was sure that I had seen it done before but when I spoke to a couple of the guys that might have done it both sad that they did such things in two pieces. In for a penny as they say I thought the worst that could happen was that I ruin a quid or so's worth of 1x1mm milled brass angle.

I have to admit I am really pleased with how it turned out and I have no fear of doing it again in future.

Still a bit of tidying up to do and the overlong stud to cut short.

Finally one shot to prove that it really is brass angle and not a subterfuge.

john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Impressive as usual Rob,

just a question are the pop valves actually meant to be offset to one side, as it looks in the photos

Paul
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

john coffin wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:34 pm Impressive as usual Rob,

just a question are the pop valves actually meant to be offset to one side, as it looks in the photos

Paul
Thanks Paul,

Sadly not, I think that one of them must have moved as I soldered the plate in. It will get sorted but I may wait until I attach it to the cab front.
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

Given my published work, I am always troubled pointing things out Rob,
but such is your attention to detail that I feel emboldened to point out
what the photos show, even if it later turns out to be wron.

I think it is however a problem when trying to solder, soldered constructions in place,
maybe you need to think about different solders and a heat sink?

Paul
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

No problem Paul,

Sometimes you get so involved that you miss things even though the photos point them out so I have no issue with people querying things that don't look right.

There are those who take a delight in such things but thankfully we don't seem to have any of those on here.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

I was working on the cab roof when Dave Lester posted the dimensions of the snifting valve on my thread on RM Web and casually mentioned that I might like to make one since I had most of the details. Now this struck a bit of a chord because I have always been disappointed with the snifting valve castings supplied in kits and to look at the best I have 'seen' is the turned example sold by Markits. I say seen in inverted commas because I have no idea if it's dimensionally accurate it just looks good. The trouble with Markits, is actually getting your hands on anything from the catalogue.

If I had any suitable bar in stock, I might have had a go at turning one but sadly everything I had was far too thin. I did have some brass tube of just the right OD though so this was pressed into service I cut a length off that I could grip and hold safely and soldered a square of scrap etch over the end and snipped/filed it round. Finally finishing it in the lathe chuck. At this point it became a bit “Triggers Broom” because Mike Trice posted a selection of close ups of snifting valves on locos and I realised that I had drilled the holes in the side too big and too many (the hole size was one dimension that Dave didn’t have).

Armed with more info I made a second cover salvaging the end cap and the 14BA hex headed screw that I had fitted to the first attempt. Next came the base plate and five goes later I had something usable, albeit it to my eyes it seems a bit small at the measurements quoted. I may revisit this once I have the chimney fitted.
This is what it looks like.

Finally one with the obligatory 5 pence piece for scale – small ain’t it?

I have to say that I had immense fun making it and learned a few things about my lathe in the process.
Last edited by Robpulham on Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Amazing! That looks almost as if (with a few extra parts) it could work!
Do your models have superheater tubes that need to be cooled?
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Caroline,

They don't at present but full smokebox details are planned for a future build or two.

I have made good use of your photos too I will post progress on the cab tonight.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Having noted the pattern of rivets in the centre of the cab rear when viewed from above and making use of the photos that Caroline kindly took of the C1 Cab. I was able to come up with a representation of what can be seen.

At least today the font hasn't gone enormous - for some reason I couldn't make it smaller despite a few attempts...
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

Well Rob, if you are going this far, you need to think about those visible rivets on the outside of the cab sides where
for instance items were attached.

Check out some photos and you will see groups of 4 rivet heads on either side of the cab sidesheets.

Will try to find out what is there, but I am sure the Isinglass drawing shows them.

:twisted:

Paul
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Whatever those rivets are, they're in the later versions of these etches - at least, the 4mm ones.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

john coffin wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:56 pm Well Rob, if you are going this far, you need to think about those visible rivets on the outside of the cab sides where
for instance items were attached.

Check out some photos and you will see groups of 4 rivet heads on either side of the cab sidesheets.

Will try to find out what is there, but I am sure the Isinglass drawing shows them.

:twisted:

Paul
Now you have had me questioning myself because I recalled popping them out - oddly the cab etch has them on one side but not the other. They are on the right side as you look forward. but as you say the photo that I am working from cleary has them on the left side too. Mmm. mutter mutter.
The other odd thing about my cab etch now that I have looked is that there are two sets of two rivets/bolts exactly where the handrail hole should be on both sides but no holes.
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

Well Rob, worth remembering that the J6 cabs changed between the types and whether or not they were from
other locos.

Paul
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

I here you Paul,

It's why I like to work from photos of the chosen loco. Sadly in this instance I have two photos of 64206 but both are from the same side :(

For the purposes of the current discussion, it's actually the right side, because it does show the rivets that are missing from my cab.

The real pain will be how best to represent them now that the cab is made up. I suspect that I will end up drilling out those punched on the other side and putting some pins in so that both sides match. Still it all adds to the fun...
9E
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 9E »

Robpulham wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:13 pm I here you Paul,

It's why I like to work from photos of the chosen loco. Sadly in this instance I have two photos of 64206 but both are from the same side :(

For the purposes of the current discussion, it's actually the right side, because it does show the rivets that are missing from my cab.
Does this help:

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p864498158/h1588C98C

Simon