N Gauge Ivatt j6

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

N Gauge Ivatt j6

Post by Atso »

Hi guys

just started a return to modelling following my house move and decided to have a go at something new rather than spend a couple of hours trying to dig out an existing project!

I chose to model an early version of the Ivatt/Gresley J6, this is based on some pictures I have and as a result is not the best 'scale' model ever- for example I think now that the boiler may be too big. however I am pleased with the results and look forward to making a dome over the next couple of days. The loco's body is scratch built in brass with the safety valve being a spare from an N2 kit and the smoke box door coming from a static 160 scale Flying Scotsman.
Attachments
Ivatt J6 4.jpg
(67.32 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
Steve
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

looking really nice? what mechanism is under it? Are those finescale wheels?

I think it certainly looks a lot like a J6, and the overscale boiler isnt really noticeable, even less so when painted I imagine. The real locos always look a bit 'overscale' in that proportion to me anyhow!

I dare you to try lining it out in full GNR livery....

Will
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi Will,

Thanks for the comments, I have to say that the loco actually looks slightly better in the photo than in reality!

The loco is going to be a free running chassis with a Union Mills tender drive powering the loco. The wheels have been borrowed from my Union Mills J39 as the wheel base matches the photo I based the loco on perfectly (even though they're not the same in reality!).

The tender body is going to be made up in my usual way for an GNR pattern tender. This is by using a shortened and lowered tender body from an A3 (non-corridor type) and matching it to an appropriate tender chassis, weighted with lead and mounted on the tender drive unit. I toyed with the idea of making this from brass as well but bottled out (maybe next time).

I'm not taking you up on the GNR green though! This one will be in LNER black for my (to be built) 1930's layout based on Hitchen and Hornsey.

Anyway a couple more photos
Attachments
Ivatt J6 5.jpg
(47.68 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Ivatt J6 3.jpg
(60.56 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Steve
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

do union mills sell their tender-drive mechanisms separate? I am working on a Farish Castle 4-6-0 mechanism into a Robinson 8F class (LNER B4), and tender drive would make things much easier.

Will
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes they do. I bought one a few years back - it was 20-something pounds iirc.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Colin does sell the tender drives separately depending on stock levels. The last time I purchased a unit it was £25 for the drive and £30 for a complete unit including body. Colin sells a tender for his J11 which i think is suitable for most Robinson types
Steve