Hornby J36

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Hornby J36

Post by notascoobie »

kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: Hornby J36

Post by kimballthurlow »

Thankyou, very useful description of the model.
I just wish manufacturers would advertise if the model is die-cast metal body... or not.

regards
Kimball
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Somewhat late, it certainly does have a largely diecast loco body. Much like the J15 this confers enough weight that it can haul a realistic load, with smooth and quiet progress thanks to a good drive design. Looks 'right enough' to me compared to photos - I have no drawing - with all the charm typical of the turn of the century small general purpose 0-6-0 designs. Let's hope that those that have lamented the absence of anything useful in the way of native Scottish steam classes are falling over themselves to buy this one, because it is unlikely to get any better than this.

(And also. Three pre-group 0-6-0s from LNER constituents now available in RTR OO, and more announced. What is going on? And where's the J6?)
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

I wonder what the spare parts situation is like......
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

Thank you Hatfield Shed for your reply.

Well I purchased the NBR version (C class) of the J36, it seems a nice model, though I have not run it.
A real surviving J36 is in a museum at Bo'ness between Edinburgh and Glasgow.

I am particularly interested in items with cast-metal body because I take inspiration from my 60-70 year old Hornby Dublo which seems like they will go on for ever. Unlike myself of course.
It seems the cast-metal body is not a real selling point in UK, though in Europe it has been a differentiation maximised by Maerklin and Trix to this day.

Kimball
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Horsetan wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:11 am I wonder what the spare parts situation is like...
Let's face it, this will be no better or worse than for the rest of the range. Hornby do appear to have the ability to support new introductions for a couple of years after first release, and the most popular of their products on a continuing basis. But any item which is of relatively less interest, the sparing is weak once that release phase is over is my perception; and Hornby's competitors don't appear to perform that differently.

There are effective actions which those of us who purchase RTR can do with respect to the mechanism. First, run it intensively immediately on receipt. The aim being to drive out any inherent weakness that leads to 'infant mortality', and either exchange with the retailer or get the replacement parts should this happen while the product is 'new'. And then DIY sparing. I pick up a 'breaker' as cheaply as possible to hold for spares for the really essential models for my operation.

Between these two 'raindances', I have yet to have a subsequent mechanism failure from the current Chinese made RTR, Bach, Heljan, Hornby, some of it now at or nearing 20 years in use; and have no reason to believe that my recent purchases from manufacturers new to me (Oxford N7, Dapol 21) will prove any different.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

kimballthurlow wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:04 am ...It seems the cast-metal body is not a real selling point in UK, though in Europe it has been a differentiation maximised by Maerklin and Trix to this day...
Does it for me! Having a foot both sides of the North Sea (Dutch Pa) may have something to do with it. Lots of railway interest in the family, a great uncle visited the UK in 1937, specifically to ride the Coronation. Concorde of its day...