LNER Teak colour paint

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: LNER Teak colour paint

Post by JASd17 »

Jonathan,

Concerning your point about vertical lining next to the windows, I have looked at a selection of official views taken pre-war, all the corridor stock I have seen has lining next to the windows. These are hi res photos I have taken of original negatives. The lining doesn't always show up very well, which may be even more of a problem with a printed page.

John
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Jonathan
Your D10C is correct in having lining at the windows, drawing 6521N shows this, as far as I know lining was applied
to all mouldings, on vestibule stock. Yes you are correct that when ever lettering eg. restaurant car, crossed a vertical
bead that bead was unlined, and if the wording was long enough, 2 beads would be unlined.
The main lettering was 5" deep x 11" wide and as far as I know all the transfers HMRS and Fox are incorrect in that they are 7" deep,
and Fox state theirs are based on research !, I wonder where they did that.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Many thanks jwealleans. Good to get the lining issue sorted out however, the Restaurant Car example you've sent the photo of appears to be a different 'profile' to the Comet kit I'm putting together.

The Restaurant cars in my 'sides only' Comet kit have 6 regularly spaced windows on each side between the doors at the ends so somewhat different to your photo and the kit conforms to the Restaurant Car drawing in Jenkinson and Campling's 'Historic Carriage Drawings' (p73).

Also the placement of the words 'Restaurant Car' in the drawing are 'centred' with the lower vertical bands running through the words 'Restaurant' and 'Car', with (on the side) ''Re" & "staurant", and ''C" & "ar" and (on the other) "R" & "estaurant" & "Ca" &"r" being split by the bands.

I presume it's highly possible there were other variations of Teak Restaurant cars with the profile as your photo and 'off-centre' words 'Restaurant Car' but I've not been able to track any down. However, maybe this is a case of (as many modellers have 'kindly' advised me I should do) - 'it's your layout, do what you're comfortable with', a policy I have been probably too slow to adopt!

Also thanks again John for your comments and photo sent direct (the Comet kit is the same profile).

Graeme
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks again jwealleans (and have emailed you direct) but other members may be interested.

Further to your comment on the the HMRS lettering being 'too large and just fitting between the beading on the lower panel'. I have both the HMRS product and also Fox Transfer's and the Fox 'Restaurant Car' transfer (their FRH4320/5) appears - rough measuring - to be 4mm high and the HMRS closer to 5mm.

Graeme
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

Restaurant Car, Buffet Car and Sleeping Car lettering was 5" high over the gold. How does that compare?
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Mike,

I've yet to master the art of posting photos on the forum but I did send Jonathon Wealleans a photo to his email address showing 2 teak restaurant coach bodies (my Comet kit), one with the Fox Transfers product (Restaurant Car) and the other with the HMRS product - just the word 'Car' as had botched applying 'Restaurant' and so had to remove.

If you're happy with letting me have your own email address I can forward to you and this may answer your last question about comparisons. (Mine is graeme.leary@xtra.co.nz)

Graeme (New Zealand)
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Regarding lining transfers for the Restaurant triplet set. Fox Transfers have 2 yellow lining products (which I assume is correct colour for LNER); their FG1891 'fine' lining 0.35mm and FG1881 'medium' 0.75mm. Might be bleedin' obvious but would presume the 'fine' 0.35mm is the more correct to scale.

They also produce 'corners' (both 0.35 and 0.75) which I presume will be needed. However, the other RTR Hornby teak coaches I have (agreed, not exactly accurate) almost look as though the ends of each strip 'butts' at right angles into the joining ones, or maybe this would be too 'acute' at the join and 'corners' should be used.

Grateful for confirmation or any other relevant comments.

Graeme
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

Transfers specifically for 4mm coaches are also available from MARC Models: http://www.marcmodels.co.uk/Images/Wate ... Lining.pdf
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

MikeTrice wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:30 am Transfers specifically for 4mm coaches are also available from MARC Models: http://www.marcmodels.co.uk/Images/Wate ... Lining.pdf
I have used these on one coach a TPO , good quality printing . The problem with my set, was they had little glue and had to be held on with varnish !! I might have been unlucky?.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I have used, am using, these MARC Models transfers, they are very good but very delicate and as mick b said the glue could be better.
I found that Micro sol worked very well on them, but you have to be very careful when doing a long run to keep the lining on the bead/moulding
as they can wander, I do short lengths at a time and do not cut to close to the transfer.
Now when I get a bit of time I must finish lining the 3 models I have started, some hope.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I can really highly recommend a Bob Moore lining pen and the time taken to get used to it.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Even a cheap bow pen, once properly honed and tried out for a bit of practice / experience, gives good results quickly and easily on the straight raised beading of Doncaster pattern teak coaches.

Far easier I'm tempted to suggest in this context than fighting with thin strips of transfer material that may or may not stay straight, may or may not adhere well, and may or may not behave themselves as over varnish is applied.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:09 pm Even a cheap bow pen, once properly honed and tried out for a bit of practice / experience, gives good results quickly and easily on the straight raised beading of Doncaster pattern teak coaches.

Far easier I'm tempted to suggest in this context than fighting with thin strips of transfer material that may or may not stay straight, may or may not adhere well, and may or may not behave themselves as over varnish is applied.
hear hear - look around the antique shops for vintage (and usually good quality) draughtsman's gear and then try them lining. Paint roughly the consistency of milk.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks Jonathon, silverfox and Atlantic 3279 for your comments. Might have to 'raise my sights' and look for a bow pen when in the UK next month (even though its use for my triplet kit might be a 'one off').

However, regarding transfers; I have used Fox's lining transfers on a few locos I repainted and didn't find any problems with them - and they do have the advantage of no capital outlay and are comparative good value.

Also have to report after a few other attempts I'm now following a combination of nzpaul's procedure & Mike Trice's system (as outlined in a RMWeb posting 'Reproducing Varnished Teak') and so far, so good. If the final outcome is as I hope will redo the 5 or 6 other 'older' Hornby teak coaches in the same manner. Watch this space and if as good as Paul and Mike's will have to learn how to post photos to show the finished product.

Graeme
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Further to my last I have been looking into more detail on bow/lining pens and as a definite 'amateur' with only the 3 cars of my restaurant triplet set to line (and, depending on the results maybe the other 6 Hornby R477/9 series I will consider making more 'correct') should a bow pen be adequate for this 'on-off' project? The posts I looked at (RMWeb, Scalefour Society and a couple of private ones) give me the impression that for my limited requirement a bow pen might be more than sufficient (plus cheaper and easier to use) and still produce a reasonably well finished job. I also liked the suggestion to get some old 2nd hand locos (or in my case coaches) to practice on.

Any comments gratefully welcome (even though I do accept there will be 'partisans' for both types).

Graeme