Of Trestrols and other SCV's

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Of Trestrols and other SCV's

Post by Hatfield Shed »

As part of war preparations, the LMS and LNER cooperated in production of suitable vehicles for movement of large loads, the LNER building some long six wheel bogie Trestrols amongst other things. Rather attractive and different vehicles, even if they were only built in handful numbers. In true 'obscure choice of rarity' fashion Triang of course only went and produced a model. Having inspected one such I was surprised to find that it is a decent attempt, albeit somewhat short, quite clearly based on the Dia 113 Trestrol C design (later BR Trestrol EC) and it carries the markings to that effect.

Happily Peter Tatlow's 4B has a dimensional table in addition to photos, pp 265 - 266, which will assist in cobbling together a full length Trestrol C by combining two of the vehicles. But I find I have an interpretation issue over the length which is quoted as 68 feet. The only way to fit in the 36'8" load length in the well section is by interpreting that 68' length as the wagon frame length, not including the bogie frames which project either end by a further five to six feet. (For an impressive overall vehicle length over buffer faces nudging eighty feet.)

Is that interpretation correct please? Like to know before I start hacking at the plastic...
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Of Trestrols and other SCV's

Post by R. pike »

Does the wagon appear in the standard drawings book?

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/Prototype.html
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by swhite01 »

I have added the data panel and diagram from the LNER "Specially Constructed Wagons" book ..... 1926 with amendments.... many of them !

I hope this is of help,

Steve
Attachments
LNER Trestrol Diagram data panel.jpg
LNER Trestrol Diagram.jpg
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Well, thanks to all of you for such efficient assistance.

I had misinterpreted the outline dimensions, so the length over the headstocks of the Trestrol C bogies is 68', which makes for a far simpler conversion job. This also confirms that the Triang wagon is near scale length for the 50 ton Trestrol B, although with visible constructional features appropriate to Trestrol C!

The 'remains' after cobbling together the Trestrol C should enable a decent representation of the Weltrol P to be produced, which was the lead candidate among the 'other SCV's' of the title.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

I'd be interested in seeing your progress in due course. The Tri-ang wagon is a rather nice model and i have thought about upgrading one at some stage.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I think an article on cutting, shutting and detailing the Triang wagon to create a scale version appeared in BRM a few years back, it may have won a prize too, but I'm a bit short of time to look for confirmation just at present.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

That's of interest too, not that I nave any copies of BRM having abandoned the mags, other than an occasional copy of MRJ. No rush at all, I am behind on real world projects like handrails for MiL's downstairs WC and wife's plant support wiring; along with the model project underway 'bashing' Parkside Histeel open kits to make them look like they have been (typically) abused in traffic. I want to build the trestle first to ensure that I can make a good enough job of that to justify slicing away at the wagons, so doubt I will start that soon!

Brief description of game plan. I am going to cut two bays out of the well of the (damaged) donor wagon, aiming to slice down the triangular plates halving them in thickness, likewise cut the wagon being stretched; so that there is maximum surface area for the cement to act on.

Plan for the donor wagon is to then heavily carve the remains to represent a Weltrol P; the neat cranking of the side frames down into the well the attraction there.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I've just had quick look in the logical places but I'm afraid I've found no trace of the article I had in mind. It could still be somewhere amongst my piles of paperwork, but having kept only selected articles rather than complete magazines it may be that I no longer have any trace of the thing. If anybody else has the BRM issues covering the BRM award winners for say 2008 to 2011 they may find what I had in mind.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

A little more thought based on the useful information received, and It only needs one cut in each of the vehicles, resulting in a single joint to be made to obtain the scale length Trestrol C.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Perhaps it would be worth building a strip (or strips) of heavy gauge brass (or other metal if to hand) strip into the 'joined' wagon?

It may just be my over-use of 'Plastic Weld', but I have had several experiences of vehicles which initially went together very well developing a bend after a couple of days. This even affected my current Conflat V build which used my normal 'three-ply' technique to try to avoid exactly this problem. Fortunately I was able to insert a strip of steel which restored it to a proper state of 'flatness'.

Obviously, there may not be much space under the floor of the Weltrol, but adding re-inforcing metal can be worth it, and it adds weight as well
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Or how about bracing and weight in plain sight? This is part of the appeal of the two SCV's I am interested in carving out of these plastic wagons.

The Trestrol C will have a brass constructed trestle which is all triangles, so should become very stiff indeed once the load of steel plate is bonded on. Attached to the well deck that should hold it together. (The Trestrol B which is going to be left unmodified, can have an empty trestle on it.)

The Weltrol P is equipped with two beams spanning 80% of the wagon body. I think that should do quite well in reinforcing that one.
cctransuk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by cctransuk »

R. pike wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:53 pm I'd be interested in seeing your progress in due course. The Tri-ang wagon is a rather nice model and i have thought about upgrading one at some stage.
The Tri-ang TRESTROL and its upgrading potential is covered at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... beam-sets/ ; my account of the process can be found at post #42 et seq.
post-2274-0-72353000-1386085531.jpg
Regards,
John Isherwood.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

John,

Thanks, that's invaluable too. totally missed that thread!