Oxford Rail N7

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

markeg
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: Oxford Rail N7

Post by markeg »

Hi Joshua,
A quick look at google images indicates that there was no lining on the locos as far as I can see.
So it looks like they have that correct. I too did wonder, so will be purchasing one in due course.
Hope this helps.
Mark
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

They would have been plain Black after 1928 when the red lining as dropped on all Black Locos.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

According the Volume 9A of the RTCS Green Series, the N7 class was painted in lined black until the outbreak of the second world war. After this time, the were repainted in plain black. The Green Series has several 1930's photographs that clearly show the lining. 8011 lost its condensing gear in December of 1936 so the model is definitely supposed to represent pre-war condition.
Steve
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

As I have stated before there is plenty of evidence in Yeadon Vol 27 that the N7s retained red lining until wartime eonomies in 1941. Its even stated on page 61. The problem is that the photography at the time wasn't good at differentiating red lining on black locos. A good sign of locos lined in red is evidence of the black and white edging to the buffer beam. The locos that lost their red lining after 1928 were shunters, smaller goods and heavy freight locos. Most, if not all black passenger engines retained red lining until 1941.

The Oxford LNER model should be lined in red.

I won't be buying an LNER liviered version until they produce one with lining.

Andrew
Last edited by Woodcock29 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

I think I'll hold off for the time being then - it certainly appears Oxford have produced an excellent model for an excellent price, but the lining issue is an unfortunate problem. I'll maybe pick one up down the line, but won't rush out to buy asap.

Thanks for the replies,

Joshua
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

Wondering how much longer to wait for my BR one - nails bitten down to the quick waiting for this and a BR J70...oh the strain!!

Ray
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Two GER design origin tank locos with RTR OO model releases in a year, did you ever think to see such an event? I think after decades of deprivation we can hold out for the expected May/June arrival of the properly LNER'd round top version? Then the customisation can begin...

I do find the 'random patchwork' of RTR OO coverage quite amusing. Among the English constituents of the LNER, the GNR got the early attention, but only its tank locos. Bachmann turned out a useful selection of GCR tender locos, but no tank engine; the NER was long term only represented by a tank engine, thankfully now being slowly amended. Meanwhile the GNR's fame means that among tender locos it seems only express classes need apply if they are to be made showing the hallmarks of GNR origin: I notice that the O2/1 and O2/2 have slipped off retailer's lists...
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

BIg H say no news from Oxford Rail on these - Feb/Mar delivery obviously out of the window and no update. Lack of info seems to be an OR hallmark - their website was never up to date. Heaven help us if this casual attitude spreads to Hornby.

Ray
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

However, the unlined LNER black Belpaire boiler version is now on sale. I would suggest this is a useful model at a good price; since I model after the LNER had been eaten by BR, the lack of lining is no obstacle as I will be stripping it of many parts to make a representation of one of Hatfield's allocation on the last turn on the Hatfield - Hertford passenger service. (69695 very grubby indeed, you can barely see the BR totem!)

There's a little tidying up to do of a couple of minor infelicities (pretty much on par with most RTR OO steam models) but as already observed, overall the model is right dimensionally, so makes a good starting point from which to customise. The mechanism is the right stuff, compact, very smooth running from dead slow on DC, with good pick up arrangements. Coupled with the weight of a part diecast body traction is 'ample'. For those using DCC, it was pleasing to find a well positioned void in the bunker, immediately above the 8 pin socket. This void took a Lenz standard decoder without difficulty - and that's a 'full size' HO decoder - and the running is all that can be asked for: no adjustments from default settings required other than setting CV3 and CV4 to 40 to better represent the extended accelerations of steam traction with a load on.

Final note:for anyone so inclined, there is ample space above the chassis block casting for the addition of valve gear representation.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

RayS wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:09 pm … Lack of info seems to be an OR hallmark - their website was never up to date. Heaven help us if this casual attitude spreads to Hornby.
Ray
That's because like too many other organisations, OR uses f@rsebook for updates, offers and suchlike - including currently a poll for the production of an N7 in GER Blue: https://www.facebook.com/Oxford-Rail-2176618712550434/
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

I see the BR N7 is now moved back to July-August accdg to Hattons
Suffolk Dave
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Suffolk Dave »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:28 am Two GER design origin tank locos with RTR OO model releases in a year, did you ever think to see such an event?
Please excuse my ignorance on this matter but what is the other tank loco?
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Suffolk Dave wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:50 pm
Hatfield Shed wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:28 am Two GER design origin tank locos with RTR OO model releases in a year, did you ever think to see such an event?
Please excuse my ignorance on this matter but what is the other tank loco?
The J70 limited edition from Model Rail
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Suffolk Dave
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Suffolk Dave »

The J70, of course... I was hoping you’d tell me I missed the launch of a Hornby ‘buckjumper’!
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

A Hornby Buckjumper - if only.......