G5 from TMC

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: G5 from TMC

Post by Danby Wiske »

2392 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:29 pm Me too with regards to the inverted commas. I use Firefox rather than chrome.
Ditto...
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

The obliteration of the quote with commas wasn't present when I first made the posting. On arriving at page 2 of this thread today, on the post by 'Danby Wiske' the quote was visible normally for a fraction of a second, and then the obliterating commas appeared. That's something linking to the quote mechanism then...
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Investigating.

Looks to be a style issue from that update a few days ago. Considering the entire forum was failing to work for about an hour, this is pretty minor :-)

(Firefox is aggressive with its caching which is why I'm still not seeing it on my main PC, but I can reproduce with Firefox on a Linux box behind me)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I believe I've fixed it.
You will need to clear your browser cache. Chrome calls it "Clear Browsing Data", other browsers might use other names. The latest versions of Firefox tend to hide useful things like this, so it might need some hunting.

(the problem was in one of the stylesheets)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

Yep, that appears to have fixed it Richard.

Just in case anyone using Firefox wishes to clear the cache manually: Open Menu (the three lines towards the top right) --> Options --> Privacy & Security --> scroll down to Cached web content & hit Clear Now.
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

Thanks Richard - everything working fine now...

:D :D :D
majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by majormagna »

exile wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:32 pm As someone interested in having an NER tank loco but by no means an expert on the NER, can anyone tell me what are the differences between the two NER liveried versions. When were coal rails installed, when was the Westinghouse pump introduced as an external feature? etc.
I'm fairly sure that the "Westinghouse pump & Two-rail bunker" variant was pretty much the standard for G5s in NER service (the NER used air brakes on their passenger stock so Westinghouse pumps were fitted from new, and would only have started disappearing in the late 1920s) the only thing limiting the appropriate time period would be the livery (of which we know nothing as of yet), the other NER liveried one is supposed to be a replica of the newbuild G5, number 1759, and therefore will appear in whatever shape that takes when complete.
Moors Bound
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

richard wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:43 pm I believe I've fixed it.
You will need to clear your browser cache. Chrome calls it "Clear Browsing Data", other browsers might use other names. The latest versions of Firefox tend to hide useful things like this, so it might need some hunting.

(the problem was in one of the stylesheets)
Thanks Richard, looks like you've cracked it, it's ok now on Chrome and Firefox.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Thanks Richard

Comma issue all resolved -they've all disappeared on the thread in my browser.
Andrew Emmett
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

richard wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:43 pm You will need to clear your browser cache. Chrome calls it "Clear Browsing Data", other browsers might use other names. The latest versions of Firefox tend to hide useful things like this, so it might need some hunting.
You certainly have, thanks.

Those of using Windows Paleolithic didn't have to do anything to see it now working properly. This only feeds my suspicion that the older software is perfect, and what the softwaremongers are doing is progressively wrecking it under the guise of 'enhanced capability'. Back to Basic...
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

Never mind the NER - I've just put down for one (67322) for the GE. Start saving now....too old to wait for the Bachmann version.
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

How wonderful to see an ex-NER loco being produced......about time I reckon
Might I be allowed to do a little flag-waving for the G5 Project via the link below?

https://www.g5locomotiveltd.co.uk/

(I'm a subscriber ...I think I've got "Superfriend" status with a fiver a month...not a lot but every little helps!)
Phil
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Phil »

exile wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:32 pm As someone interested in having an NER tank loco but by no means an expert on the NER, can anyone tell me what are the differences between the two NER liveried versions. When were coal rails installed, when was the Westinghouse pump introduced as an external feature? etc.

Thanks in advance.
Search through Yeadon and the RCTS volume 7 yields little information on the date when Westinghouse pumps were moved from cab to the front of the L/H tank. However, on the matter of caged bunkers, these are shown in an engine diagram drawn in 1917. There are phots of NER liveried loco with Westinghouse pump and caged bunker so an authentic combination.

Phil
Phil
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Phil »

Kestrel wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:59 pm Richard
Why is the above link obliterated with inverted commas? You can read the message and it's not offensive.

Coming from TMC, this means that we'll have to pay their prices or wait another few years for Bachmann to bring them out themselves.
Whether Bachmann bring out their own version will depend on the terms of the contract between TMC and Bachmann. We are familiar with the NRM specials where the celebrated/preserved member of the class is exclusive to the commissioning retailer and the general release version covering other class members (e.g. D11, City of Truro and MR 1000). However in this case the commissioning retailer appears to be covering all the angles with multiple livery variants/fittings. This project feels more like the Kernow 'Thumper Unit' or the Model Rail 'USA Tank' commissions from Bachmann where all options are offered and don't subsequently appear on general release.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Phil wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:12 pm ...This project feels more like the Kernow 'Thumper Unit' or the Model Rail 'USA Tank' commissions from Bachmann where all options are offered and don't subsequently appear on general release.
I have the impression that Bachmann's 'going in position' when negotiating with commissioners is exclusive use of the tools by commissioner for an agreed time period (and possibly volume) before the tools become available to Bachmann for production as standard range items.

Thats wise, as it is their tool room capacity taken up on a commission, preventing them adding to their stock of wholly owned tooling. (It was different with the first NRM loco commission: since there is only the one DP1 it would never be a range item normally, but they alone got the N gauge version instead.)