Commissioning N gauge wagons

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Commissioning N gauge wagons

Post by Rlangham »

In my search for NER N gauge vehicles I’m trying to source coal hoppers - I was fortunate enough to get a dozen of the ex-Thameshead, now BH Enterprises NER 20 ton P7 hoppers but could do with something earlier like the round end P4’s. Is anyone aware of a limited run manufacturer who would mould and do a run (a dozen would do me) of N gauge hoppers?
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Commissioning N gauge wagons

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

You might be lucky it you get in contact with ATSO, he dose 3D printed wagons.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
BlythStationLad
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by BlythStationLad »

I'd be up for a few of them too!
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

manna wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:16 pm G'Day Gents

You might be lucky it you get in contact with ATSO, he dose 3D printed wagons.

manna
Thanks for the referral Manna. :D

At the moment, I'm a bit snowed under but would be willing to consider this in the future. Is the wagon referred to in Tatlow's illustrated overview? I ask as there are a few NER hoppers in there but none seem to be referred to by their NER diagram numbers.

Also the 2mm Association does an injection moulded body kit for an NER hopper which can be found here (item code: 2-531):

http://2mm.org.uk/products/shops.php?shop_num=2

Would this be of a suitable type?
Steve
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Hi Steve,

To my shame I don't have any of the Tatlow books currently, although I've just ordered Volume 2. The 2MM kit is the later P7 20 tonner, the P4 was a 5 planked, sloping sides hopper with curved boards at either end, without hoping to sound like some sort of 'wagon botherer' it's quite an attractive design, well, as far as coal hoppers go!

There's a very nice O gauge version here https://pregroupingrailways.com/wagons/ (need to scroll down to 'FRWC52 NER/LNER/BR P4 10 1/2 ton hopper')

They were introduced in around 1875 and built pretty much up to grouping, I've seen them in industrial use in the North East too so a good all-rounder in terms of time period they were built and would be seen, with the larger 20 ton hoppers not introduced until 1902
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes the P4 was one I kept seeking out for O. There have been at least three kit manufacturers produce them. I've built the NER Days/Medley, and Furness versions.

The 2mm P7 is the only vaguely N scale model or kit of an NER wooden hopper that I'm aware of.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Rlangham wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:36 am Hi Steve,

To my shame I don't have any of the Tatlow books currently, although I've just ordered Volume 2. The 2MM kit is the later P7 20 tonner, the P4 was a 5 planked, sloping sides hopper with curved boards at either end, without hoping to sound like some sort of 'wagon botherer' it's quite an attractive design, well, as far as coal hoppers go!

There's a very nice O gauge version here https://pregroupingrailways.com/wagons/ (need to scroll down to 'FRWC52 NER/LNER/BR P4 10 1/2 ton hopper')

They were introduced in around 1875 and built pretty much up to grouping, I've seen them in industrial use in the North East too so a good all-rounder in terms of time period they were built and would be seen, with the larger 20 ton hoppers not introduced until 1902
Thanks for the link. I think I've got a basic drawing in my copy of Tatlow's overview of LNER wagons and might be able to do something with that couple with some good reference pictures (which my copy of Tatlow doesn't have so your link would prove most useful).

As previously stated, I'm currently tied up with other projects but would be willing to consider this one. Do you think there would be enough interest to sell 30-50 of these in total to make it worth while doing the CAD for the wagon?
Steve
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Personally I could go for 14 maximum for myself, i've also located a few images and a drawing which could help. Seems to be a huge gap in pre-grouping rolling stock availability in N gauge, even finding a 'normal' planked wagon with wooden end posts is a bit of a struggle.

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I might be up for some as well.

My N is still packed away (thinking of T-Trak modular at a future date when my son is old enough) and I have a tight budget so not very many, but perhaps a few.

If you're looking for projects, then the Consett Iron Ore wagons would be neat behind the promised Q6 or a 9F...
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
BlythStationLad
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by BlythStationLad »

Well I'd sign up for 5 NER hoppers. I'd also welcome LNER 21T rivetted hoppers with the long brake handles: I've always been baffled by Dapol opting for the steel hoppers that were never seen outside Wales!
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Just seen via Facebook that P4 hoppers are available, hooray!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/4GHC5 ... d=86909463

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Oh, I guess I'll stop designing my one then. :(
Steve
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Looks like an error or two with that one... will drop you a PM if there's another option underway as have some bits that could help

colin61
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by colin61 »

Hi Rob, just came across your posts on this.

I painted and lettered a couple of the P4s off Shapeways last year - took a bit of fettling to get correctly fitting wheels - I eventually went for a combination of 2mm Assoc N profile conversion wheels and top hat bearings (probably should have used a separate chassis but... ).
IMG_1512.JPEG
Underside.jpg
Adding a pic showing them alongside an Osborn's 20T Diag 12 and a couple of NGS 8 planks.

(please excuse the chunky couplings - experimenting with West Hill Wagon Works magnetic ones... )
IMG_1510.JPEG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Nice looking wagons. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.