Harrogate South

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Sniffer
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Harrogate South

Post by Sniffer »

Finally taking the plunge to model my personal "ultimate" location, but need some photographic help if it exists.

Looking south nothing changed until the late 80's when they filled in the southbound bays to create a car park.
This is very "local" but did Station Bridge always make the railway below an almost subterranean affair ?
The current arrangement which has been in place for 40 years+ almost gives the impression of a short tunnel, leading to the cuttings through The Stray.

Can barely believe this location hasn't been the subject of a substantial modelling project, as it ticks so many boxes.
Important main line with Anglo Scottish Pullmans, cross country expresses and an extensive branch line network.
Plus of course it's own home based Kings X service , the Yorkshire Pullman.

Bath Green Park, Liverpool Lime Street etc...
But a little patch of North Yorkshire in its pomp would be a show stopper.
Re-open the Leeds Northern northwards !
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Harrogate South

Post by PinzaC55 »

How about Ripon ? It had beautiful buildings and most of the goods yard was alongside the station platforms and it could accept virtually any class of loco.
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

Sniffer wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:31 pm Finally taking the plunge to model my personal "ultimate" location, but need some photographic help if it exists.

Looking south nothing changed until the late 80's when they filled in the southbound bays to create a car park.
This is very "local" but did Station Bridge always make the railway below an almost subterranean affair ?
The current arrangement which has been in place for 40 years+ almost gives the impression of a short tunnel, leading to the cuttings through The Stray.

Can barely believe this location hasn't been the subject of a substantial modelling project, as it ticks so many boxes.
Important main line with Anglo Scottish Pullmans, cross country expresses and an extensive branch line network.
Plus of course it's own home based Kings X service , the Yorkshire Pullman.

Bath Green Park, Liverpool Lime Street etc...
But a little patch of North Yorkshire in its pomp would be a show stopper.
I once considered modelling Harrogate but then discovered full size trains!

Where are you based? I have a copy of a plan of the station obtained from the BR property board at York. Photos of the station before it was butchered don't seem all that common, though if I recall correctly there are some views on the Britain from Above website.

Sawdust.
Sniffer
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: Harrogate So

Post by Sniffer »

I'm right here in central Harrogate, born and raised.

No surprise that I've referenced pretty much all the available printed literature, but it's frustrating that so many alternative views weren't captured.
Genuinely can't fathom the reasons for this, but perhaps busier more "important" rail centres (Leeds & Bradford) were just too close ?

I know it's my home town, but for such an important and historical location in railway terms the full potential hasn't fully been exploited in print.
Re-open the Leeds Northern northwards !
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

I’ve had an interest in Harrogate’s Railways, since I work in the town.

I had considered modelling Starbeck MPD at one point....now that was a long shed!!!
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
JonBates
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by JonBates »

I too, am surprised that there seem to be so few models of Harrogate and it’s environs.

My plan is to build a layout of Bilton Junction - or more precisely the Gasworks interchange sidings. My reasons are similar - proper expresses but quite short, branch and intermediate passenger working and plenty of freight.

I think the Leeds Northern is an interesting line with plenty of modelling possibilities.

Jon
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Gasworks also gets you the narrow gauge line...

There's a fairly recent book about the gasworks line. I can dig up the reference if you don't have it.
(I bought it at the Great Yorkshire Show a few years back when it was being sold as a fundraiser for the surviving loco)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
JonBates
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by JonBates »

Hello Richard

I will admit that the Narrow gauge element was part of the attraction! Also it provides some scope for shunting etc.

I have the Narrow Gauge Society book “Harrogate Gas Works” in my collection. This is probably the book that you mention but if you are aware of any others then i’d Be very grateful for the references.

Photographs of the coal drops are fairly thin on the ground so modelling these accurately will be a challenge!

Jon
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Jon,

Just checked - yes the same book. At the time, 'Barber' was in works grey and "virtually finished" condition. They were talking about it being a few weeks from steaming. I think I've even seen it in the interstitial live bits on the Thomas & Friends series over here in the US - so obviously everything went to plan.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Signalman LNER
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Signalman LNER »

Hello there
Did you locate the views of Harrogate South you were looking for?
I have seen a few in collections of local railwaymen, including I am sure, a couple of photos of the interior of the signalbox.
Kind regards
Matt the Signalman