Open goods wagons

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Open goods wagons

Post by Graeme Leary »

Many thank s Updistant. As the 7 wagons are so very well put together I might just have to bluff my way through this and use some 'incorrect' NE numbers (hoping no one who sees my wagons has also read your very informative post). I'll rely on the advise sometimes given to me by other forum members ' it's your railway - do what you're comfortable with' and this could well be one of those times.

However, might be of interest that a closer look at the 7 wagons shows 3 minor variations as below:-

2 (and I think they're the Hornby RTRs) have quite elaborate what looks like door mechanism at one end, and 2 vertical bars and what I presume are foot rails) at the other. Also wider 'capping' on the tops of the walls.

2 (with 'plain' bases so probably one of the kit makes) Have more detail on 'framing' around the 4 side doors (2 on each side) plus the greater details at one end with the plainer double vertical bars at the other (no foot rails as on the models above). These are also marginally lower - about 2- 3 mm than the Hornby.

3 (guess one of the other kit models) have just the 2 vertical bars (no footrails) on each end, and also marginally lower than the Hornby (and quite narrow top top capping)

I was slightly surprised at these differences as, on the layout, they all appear the same and it's only getting into this numbering project has made me have a closer look - an interesting outcome and lesson to not take everything at face value.

Really appreciate your 'digging' into this.
Graeme