Going in to DCC!

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Going in to DCC!

Post by x568wcn »

Having bought Railway modeller and BRM last week, I am combining the two, with a small n gauge plan in Railway Modeller , and an artical on DCC in BRM.
So to start...I don't have a clue.....
I decide to by a DCC ready loco (the Farish Stobart 66)
Then find that DCC ready means it's not, it just has a space on the circut board to solder a decoder to.
So bought but not arrived now are,
Farish 66
Hornby Basic select
2 decoders.

Not strictly LNER, but we can all learn together, and I will take proressive photos, and if it works ok, I will start a site about the building of it.
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes Bachmann/Farish's DCC advertising has been criticised. When the 66s were initially released, their's was definitely the easier to DCC-ify. Dapol responded by fitting sockets to new loco designs and I think new Class 66s now include a socket. Farish seem to be limiting sockets to new releases only.

Anyway, soldering a module in is far better than if you had an 08 or old-Farish steamer. Then you need to drill the bush holes out or similar (there are a couple of different conversion kits available). Having done that with my 08/DES1, I don't intend to do it again.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

So you get your new loco, DCC it, and find you have to run it in on DC first!

It looks quite easy, the olny problem I can see it that you have to remove 2 dc clips from the circuit board, and I don't know what these are yet, found a site where a chap is also doing this, and he says exactly what it says on the instructions, remove the two dc clips.
Might have to ask him.
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Had a look at converting steam to dcc, and if you use the digihat http://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/product ... cts_id=522 it all looks quite simple
but converting an V2 looks hard! http://www.rmweb.co.uk/dcc/V2.htm
Meenwhile, my chips have come, but I have no control, so haven't converted it yet!
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk