rear bunker number ex NBR tanks

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

rear bunker number ex NBR tanks

Post by 52D »

I know some of the C15/C16 Atlantic tanks had numbers painted on the back of there bunkers did any of the N2s have this feature added when they transferred to Scotland? i have loads of pics of Scottish N2s but none showing off there rears to the camera.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: rear bunker number ex NBR tanks

Post by JASd17 »

I have only found one photo which may help, or maybe confuse in equal measure.

In the relevant Yeadon there is a photo of 69508, still in LNER livery, but renumbered in April 1948. This loco has the number on the back of the bunker, NBR style. This suggests that Cowlairs did put numbers on the N2s bunkers in LNER days, but absolute proof, I have yet to find.

UPDATE: There is a photo in the RCTS book of 4740 with the number displayed on the bunker. This photo is taken at Stratford (stated to be c1933), but the loco had recently been transferred from Scotland.

John
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: rear bunker number ex NBR tanks

Post by 52D »

Thanks for the input im sure someone will confirm/deny soon,
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.