Teak coach upholstery (and floor details)

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Teak coach upholstery (and floor details)

Post by Graeme Leary »

In Michael Harris's 'LNER Carriages' he states (under the section heading 'Standard Vestibuled Carriage Interiors' - on p38) that 'Until 1932, the standard upholstery materials were first class, blue cloth, third-class, fawn 'rep' (my brackets) except for suburban stock where crimson and black pile was used'. I would be grateful if someone could advise what 'rep' is/was as despite 50 years working in the clothing industry, I have never come across this - but of course it could be an upholstery trade term. (I would imagine it is some textured, fairly durable cloth able to withstand years of 'bums on seats').

I have been sent some very good colour photos of preserved teak coach interiors by forum members (thanks John) and they also appeared under a forum topic 'GNR Seat Colour questions' 5 years back. These show a crimson/black fabric on the 3rd class seating but as it's the Flying Scotsman in the 1928/30 period I'm replicating I'm interested in this 'fawn rev' that Michael Harris's book suggests to me is more likely. (He does mention a couple of other decor scenarios relating to 'Mr Lupton's Complaint' but I think the 'Until 1932 etc' description is the most likely for my project).

Related to the topic is the likely colour used on of floors. I would imagine some utilitarian hard wearing neutral coloured product was used but 'LNER Carriages' doesn't seem to cover the flooring aspect (and yes, I am painting the interiors - walls, seats and floors - of the triplet kit and the 5 or 6 older Hornby RTRs I'm taking back to that era so any additional info will be very helpful).

Many thanks.
Graeme
New Zealand
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Teak coach upholstery (and floor details)

Post by jwealleans »

The triplet will be different to the ordinary service vehicles. They were finished in a variety of styles and colours, which I think Harris covers in one or other volume.

Seats in dining cars were green leather, I believe.

For 'fawn rep', something like the interior of 43613 is what I believe is being referred to. I've done a number of seats like this, with a Humbrol 93 or similar base coat and then brown/orange patterns splodged on with a fairly dry brush. Older vehicles and (I believe) non vestibuled stock still had the red/black cloth for third class and blue for first.

I use a very dark grey for flooring as it's almost impossible to see from outside the vehicle once assembled anyway.
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

According to this site: https://www.heico-direct.co.uk/fabrics-for-upholstery/ Rep or Repp is "A closely woven ribbed fabric, used a lot in the 1830's for upholstery."

I can confirm that the LNER Pattern Books refer to both Rep and Moquette fabrics.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Many thanks Jonathon and Mike - more than enough for me to work on (and somewhat staggered by the variety of upholstery fabrics described in your link Mike).
Graeme
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Most interested in the description of Tweed as using slubbed yarn.

I am familiar with the famous 'Slubbers Arms' on the edge of Huddersfield, and knew that to be a textile term relating to the woollen industry, but I had not thought of it in relation to tweed cloth.

Just looked this up in an old book, the slubbs are carded fibres, usually woollen, being prepared for spinning.

As to Graeme's original query 'fawn rep' and its exact colour, or combination of colours, is not clear, to me at least.

Thanks Mike.

John
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

John, 'Slubber's Arms', sounds like a perfect place for that pint (and I''m very very happy with 'Landlord' which I see they're pulling) and I must have driven past it many a time. Used to buy cloth from a (probably) now closed woollen mill at Golcar on the southern side of Huddersfield (and enjoyed a pint at a little pub there) so need to broaden my horizons.

Jonathon's suggestion of replicating 'fawn rep' has worked out well, any imperfections will be covered when I get some bums on seats.

Graeme
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Hi Graeme,

Timmy Taylor's Landlord is fabulous, if kept right. A mess if not. The Slubbers Arms does a good job. I am up for that.

I believe Holdsworths did a lot of carriage fabrics. Some of the samples I have seen from the 1930s would certainly give rise to a headache if too much was consumed the night before.

John
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

JASd17 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:31 pm Hi Graeme,

Timmy Taylor's Landlord is fabulous, if kept right. A mess if not. The Slubbers Arms does a good job. I am up for that.

I believe Holdsworths did a lot of carriage fabrics. Some of the samples I have seen from the 1930s would certainly give rise to a headache if too much was consumed the night before.

John

Indeed the L.N.E.R.C.A. found Holdsworths on the Metro Cammell drawings kept on micro film by Birmingham City Library. They merged with another outfit about 10 years ago. Those drawings in Birmingham library are a treasure trove of extra information, as they list not only the suppliers of such parts but also "part numbers" too. So were/are able to supply the right fabric for the carriages [provided they still have pattern, unfortunately they didn't for Thompson T.K. 1623] made in modern material, that meets modern fire safety standards.