Teak coach upholstery (and floor details)

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Teak coach upholstery (and floor details)

Post by Graeme Leary »

In Michael Harris's 'LNER Carriages' he states (under the section heading 'Standard Vestibuled Carriage Interiors' - on p38) that 'Until 1932, the standard upholstery materials were first class, blue cloth, third-class, fawn 'rep' (my brackets) except for suburban stock where crimson and black pile was used'. I would be grateful if someone could advise what 'rep' is/was as despite 50 years working in the clothing industry, I have never come across this - but of course it could be an upholstery trade term. (I would imagine it is some textured, fairly durable cloth able to withstand years of 'bums on seats').

I have been sent some very good colour photos of preserved teak coach interiors by forum members (thanks John) and they also appeared under a forum topic 'GNR Seat Colour questions' 5 years back. These show a crimson/black fabric on the 3rd class seating but as it's the Flying Scotsman in the 1928/30 period I'm replicating I'm interested in this 'fawn rev' that Michael Harris's book suggests to me is more likely. (He does mention a couple of other decor scenarios relating to 'Mr Lupton's Complaint' but I think the 'Until 1932 etc' description is the most likely for my project).

Related to the topic is the likely colour used on of floors. I would imagine some utilitarian hard wearing neutral coloured product was used but 'LNER Carriages' doesn't seem to cover the flooring aspect (and yes, I am painting the interiors - walls, seats and floors - of the triplet kit and the 5 or 6 older Hornby RTRs I'm taking back to that era so any additional info will be very helpful).

Many thanks.
Graeme
New Zealand
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Teak coach upholstery (and floor details)

Post by mick b »

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks mick b - will certainly give this some thought.
Graeme
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Graeme
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Graeme