GNR/LNER 'Guard' transfer 4mm wide?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

GNR/LNER 'Guard' transfer 4mm wide?

Post by Chas Levin »

Hello, does anyone know please of a source for an 00 gauge transfer 4mm wide of the word 'Guard' in GNR / LNER colours (though I'm sure I could live with plain gold at that size)?
It's for a D&S Dia. 310 Milk Brake and the guard's door is quite narrow... :?
I could probably fit 4.5mm at a pinch but definitely no more. The HMRS ones are considerably too wide, sadly, as they've done the rest of the coach beautifully :D
Chas
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: GNR/LNER 'Guard' transfer 4mm wide?

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Can you deal with this on a DIY basis, like this?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ?p=3171303
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Your only other potential source is Fox, but I haven't used that sheet so I don't know the dimensions.

HMRS did do a run of their LNER transfers at 3mm scale (which were more accurate for 4mm than the 4mm sheet in a lot of cases) if you can find someone who has any. Mick Bennett had a sheet which he let me have some Sentinel Railcar lettering from, but that was a long time ago.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

I have spoken to Fox's about a similar item they don't produce, the word 'KITCHEN' for the teak triplet set kitchen car and even sent them a copy of the (I presume) best known shot of the 16481/2/3 set with what looks like KITCHEN on the top panel of both doors in the photo. (Presume the same on the 2 doors on the other side of the car). They do make the RESTAURANT CAR transfers -their 4320/5 - and Fox's apparently 'slightly' smaller size appears to me to be more correct than the HMRS product.

Maybe a bit more information (pressure ???) directed to them would have them considering adding both GUARD and KITCHEN to their range, as I have always found them to be very obliging.

Graeme
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Thanks gents for the replies -
To Atlantic3279 - I did think about the DIY thing, I have that thread on watch, but I don't have either the paper or a suitable printer so I think that's not on the cards at the mo - possibly for future projects though...
To Jonathan: the 3mm HMRS ones sound like an excellent possibility, I'll see what I can find out about that as I bet that would do it.
To Jonathan nd Graeme: I'll investigate the Fox products again too; I didn't think the word 'Guard' was on there but I must have been a bit unobservant!

Sorry for delay replying but I have the best excuse: I spent today riding behind 60009 Union Of South Africa from Paddington to Worcester and back - first time I've done one of these trips and it was fantastic - highly recommended!! (Railway Touring Company are the people to contact...) :D :D :D
Chas
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

I had another look at Fox and remembered that I'd passed on their products ages back, partly because I prefer the working characteristics of HMRS Pressfix (or occasionally Methfix) to waterslide, partly because they seemed a little expensive compared to the HMRS and partly because they don't do much pre-Grouping and I've been doing more GNR than LNER.
There only seems to be one Fox LNER sheet with 'Guard' on it and they very helpfully give the dims on the product page as 1.12 X 5.8mm, so no go there (though I've messaged them to ask if there's anything else on another sheet that I've missed).

Jonathan, you made one of these GNR milk brakes a while back and in the photos it has the word there - do you remember what you used?

Thank you...

PS - I should have prefaced my note about the train ride yesterday by a warning for the faint-hearted that Union of SA was riding over foreign metals... :shock:
Chas
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

jwealleans wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:11 pm Your only other potential source is Fox, but I haven't used that sheet so I don't know the dimensions.

HMRS did do a run of their LNER transfers at 3mm scale (which were more accurate for 4mm than the 4mm sheet in a lot of cases) if you can find someone who has any. Mick Bennett had a sheet which he let me have some Sentinel Railcar lettering from, but that was a long time ago.

Yes I still have the HMRS Methfix sheet. I have measured the "Guard" it is 4.5mm approx in width if you want two? let me know with a address

Mick
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Mick - thank you ever so much, that is very kind of you! I'll pm my address - is there anything you're looking for that I could send you in return? A stamp - or a pot of gold, perhaps? :D
Chas
Chas
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Nothing required :shock: :D
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Looks as if you're sorted, Chas. I use HMRS Pressfix on everything, so that must be what's on the milk van you were looking at.
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Sorted indeed - thanks Mick for that and thanks Jonathan for the advice :D
Lovely vehicle, looking forward to adding to parcels trains; I'll post a pic or two when it's done so you can see where the transfers have gone :D
Chas
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

A perfect fit:
D&S_281_GNR_D310_Milk-brake_IV18 (52).JPG
Thanks so much Mick and Jonathan :D

This is an excellent solution to a problem I imagine might recur - I'm going to look at the DIY transfer printing process on the thread Atlantic 3279 linked to (thank you Atlantic 3279) and if successful I'll post on the forum.

Chas
Chas