GCR coaches in OO

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Chris Grouse
NBR J36 0-6-0

GCR coaches in OO

Post by Chris Grouse »

Are there any GCR coaches available in OO? Don’t mind building kits as long as they don’t cost a fortune.
Chris Grouse, Duty Station Master Quorn GCR, Senior Conductor EMT
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: GCR coaches in OO

Post by JASd17 »

Do you mind building brass kits? That is the material many are etched with.

D&S models many many years ago did some plastic kits. They come up very occasionally on the usual sites.

Not sure whether some are available as 3D prints??

None of this is 'cheap'.

John
Chris Grouse
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Chris Grouse »

I’m happy to try a brass kit tbh
Chris Grouse, Duty Station Master Quorn GCR, Senior Conductor EMT
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Jidenco and Perseverance ,both etched.

If you can find any, cheap isn't a option.
exile
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by exile »

Bill Bedford - Mousa.biz - has a number of etched sides leaving you to do quite a bit of work, but these are available now unlike many of the other offerings, that rely on a lucky strike on an auction site or the bottom of a traders box of bits at an exhibition.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I was told (by the man himself) that Bill also has a project to make some GC carriages in his current resin range.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

mick b wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:47 pm Jidenco and Perseverance ,both etched.

If you can find any, cheap isn't a option.
If you find any Jidenco ones beware. At least some were etched back to front. The most obvious sign is the the door handles are on the left.

Good luck.
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

I am not sure if they are in the current list but D&S did produce kits for several of the Parker GC London extension stock. They have been seen on Ebay but he may still do batches possibly for the GC Society.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Old type, short, Triang / Hornby clerestories with alterations to details of sides, ends and bogies, plus new underframe fittings and new roofs, masquerading (fairly effectively I hope) as Edwardian GC non-corridor / suburban stock. A cheap way to start and to practice some modelling skills if you happen to have suitable access to some of these old coaches. A better result than I achieved is possible if you also replace the bogies with proper Fox ones, rather than just disguise the Mk1 bogies, and if you narrow down the bodies, but that's rather more work:
ends.jpg
sides.jpg
Jidenco / Falcon Brass parts, with modifications and a lot of bits from other sources or home-made, built up into GC Barnum coaches. Not the place to start unless you really like a challenge and can see it through to a worthwhile standard - otherwise you may just be wasting your time, your money, and using up parts that could have found better uses:
STA70127 - Copy.JPG
In neither case are these the kind of thing I'd have time to repeat these days - other modelling tasks and the wider demands of life fill my time.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
UpDistant
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by UpDistant »

Worsley Works also do sides, ends and floor only etches for the Parker 45' coaches for the "London Extension" sets - http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/4mm/4mm_LNER_Pregroup.htm.
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

There are some silhouette cutter files for download on RMWeb for a Barnum open saloon: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... avenhouse/ They're on that thread, around page 20- page 30, plus some files for the same carriage for a laser cutter.

I drew up some sides for a few of the clerestory carriages, the intention being that they're grafted onto the old Triang/ Hornby clerestory bodies. So far I've done a brake third and an all third and I have plans to do one or two more- a lavatory composite and I think maybe a brake composite too- but they're a project for another time. I'd be happy to give you copies of the drawing files for the two types I have done though, if you like?

Like Atlantic I've got a few re-roofed Hornby clerestories and they do look quite convincing.

If you can find some, the Grafar mainline and suburban carriages also look quite GCR-ish. I've done a rake of each and with a suitable repaint and the matchboarding drawn on they rather look the part for the later Robinson-designed stock.

~Addendum~

If you can find them, the old Triang Caley coaches can also be cut down and turned into respectable facsimilies of the post-Parker, pre-Robinson 50' mainline stock of the early Edwardian period. Here are a few I built last year.

ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ArthurK »

Jidenco did two Barnum coaches, one a brake. They also did 60' Mainline matchboard stock.
Teesdale062A.jpg
ArthurK
Skaran
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Skaran »

Resurrecting this thread a bit I have some Bill Bedford GCR coaches to build, notably 3A7, 3L4, 3Q2, and 3B5. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what bogies these would have been fitted with and if there are any publications which would give some details of these vehicles (especially as they would have appeared 1912/1913)?
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

They all had 10'6" bogies

You can't go wrong looking through Dow's Great Central Vol3 and his Great Central Album. Sadly both are out of print, but are not uncommon.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Useful works Barnum drawings (not ideally reproduced) and information also in "J. G Robinson - a lifetime's work" by the late David Jackson, a VERY handy book to have.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.