Making 'bellows' coach connectors

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Making 'bellows' coach connectors

Post by Graeme Leary »

I had been given the details a few years back on how to produce these by one of the many Yorkshire born railway modellers who have invaded New Zealand but have somehow or other mislaid the procedure. (I even have a couple of sheets of heavyish black paper and a paper clip with a note 'How to make pleated carriage 'bellows' joiners' but the actual instructions have disappeared).

As my original source has passed away I would be grateful for any info on this as there were some fairly precise measurements from memory. Specifically for The West Riding Pullman and The Flying Scotsman (in 00) not that I imagine there is any important difference in appearance. Also the correct terminology if 'bellows' not so.

Graeme Leary
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Making 'bellows' coach connectors

Post by jwealleans »

It may not be quite so cost effective where you are, but I started buying precut ones from Ebay as they are so cheap (laser cut, I think) that it's not worth the time to make your own.

This is one version of the instructions you're looking for.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Graham theres a chap near the SVR makes all sorts of small bits and pieces i will try and find the link. I havent used him so cannot comment on his product but he does carriage boards and interior furniture as well, I agree wiyh JW's comments above.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

52D wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:55 am Can't find link ATM but this might do the trick https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-x-00-Gaug ... 4902.l9144
It seems fhe guy i was thinking about no longer advertises on ebay, he was ill so i presume hes stopped production
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks 52D and Jonathon. Will go with your link Jonathon as I have the materials here (and it's a bit of a hassle going on to ebay for such a small number of, I presume, low value items). The link shows what I recall my original notes said so should come back after I've made a couple.
Graeme
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Graeme.

You might like to try this old method.
Attachments
GANGWAY a.jpg
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Sorry Dave - should have acknowledged your thread sooner - not sure why I hadn't picked it up.

However, followed the method on Jonathon's link and all went well EXCEPT on my 4 12 wheel Pullman coaches. Seems possible that the difference in overall length on the 4 wheel bogies (55mm) and the 6 wheel bogies (65mm) as well as the centre wheels on the 6 wheel sets) makes it difficult for the 6 wheel sets taking the curves AND on tighter radii track (which the 4 wheel bogie coaches manage quite happily). (In both cases I'm referring to the Hornby Pullman 8 and 12 wheel Pullmans)

Also appears that the 6 wheel bogies sets (ie the 12 wheel coaches) are positioned slightly closer to the ends of each coach (than the 4 wheel sets/the 8 wheel coaches) and if this results in the inside corners of joining coaches being marginally closer to each other, and the bellows add 'tension' to each other with the result that derailment occurs.

Welcome any thoughts/ideas/comments.

Graeme
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

If it is the "tension" causing the problem could you try making a set of bellows with a thinner paper? I had similar problems: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... r-coaches/

See also http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... try2650214 showing how they were made.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Mike,

Many thanks and will try this as very likely to solve the issue.

However, another suggestion has been made that I replace the centre pair (flanged) of wheels in each 6 wheel bogie sets with unflanged wheels which could remove the tension on any slightly tighter curves as only the flanges on the outer pair in each bogie would be making contact with the track.

Gives me a couple of solutions to try.

Graeme