Lining transfers (LNER Teak coaches)

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Lining transfers (LNER Teak coaches)

Post by Graeme Leary »

Fox Transfers make coach lining transfers in various widths including 0.35 or 0.75 in both Off-White (described as Straw) and Gold.

I'd be interested to know if any member has used these products, how they performed and what would be the correct width and colour of the 2 available for LNER teak coach lining in the 1920/early 1930s. (Gold strikes me as obvious but 'Straw' might have enough depth against the teak background whereas the gold could be too bright).

Any comments on other makes also of interest but I have had very good dealings with Fox's previously. (Have to admit, the bow/lining pen has beaten me and I want to get my triplet kit and old RTR teak coach conversion project completed before I get too old, so I thought I'd look at this option. I have previously been happy with how transfers, including those I've fixed to loco boilers have worked for me).

Graeme
New ZEaland
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Lining transfers (LNER Teak coaches)

Post by MikeTrice »

Cannot comment on using their lining packs as I have never done it, however LNER lining is stated as being "Primrose" so cream would be best option.

You might also like to try http://www.marcmodels.co.uk/Images/Wate ... Lining.pdf however I have had difficulty getting them to take and ended up back with the ruling pen.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Marc Models as said do a LNER Transfer sheet, very good printing, but the glue was very weak and I also had to "glue" them on with varnish.

I was'nt aware of Fox doing a 0.35mm line . I have used their thicker red lining version on Locos without problems, I don't however like the prices , a lot more expensive that other sellers!!.
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

Graeme Leary wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:52 am Have to admit, the bow/lining pen has beaten me and I want to get my triplet kit and old RTR teak coach conversion project completed before I get too old.
Perhaps we should ask what issues you had with a ruling pen. Generally speaking Gresley stock with its square corners is relatively straightforward. You might like to refer to http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... try3121801 where I line my GNR coaches.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

MikeTrice wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:43 pm Perhaps we should ask what issues you had with a ruling pen. Generally speaking Gresley stock with its square corners is relatively straightforward. You might like to refer to http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... try3121801 where I line my GNR coaches.
That really is a brilliant thread Mike. Been using a variation of your "teaking" method recently for some old Thompsons and your threads have been really inspirational. Thank you for the myriad of ideas and tips you provide.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Graeme.
I have used Marc Models Lining transfers (or decals for you Americanised people) no real problems, just fiddly and very thin. I'm not sure the end result as seen from viewing distance is worth it.
I did not know Fox did a lining sheet, learn something new every day.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

If you can develop the basic knack of using the ruling pen, the straight lining on Howlden / Gresley coaches will be quicker and easier to apply than it is by fiddly transfers.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks all and after digesting Mike's RMweb posting (and 'reassured' by even Mike's comment 'really not enjoying this bit'), checking the prices of Marc Models as referred to have decided to persevere with the old lining pen I have and give it another go. I now see I'll have to allow more time to do each section separately (horizontals and vertical linings) and sufficient drying time between each than I have on my earlier attempts so it still might be a drawn out process with 8-9 cars to do. However if all is okay after one more 'practise' will do the rest in blocks of 2 or 3 (and the 25% Yorkshireman in me also likes the idea of saving some brass!)
Graeme
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

I am probably not the best to advise you but:

I treat the coach to a good coat of Klear/Pledge to seal the paint against subsequent use of white spirit. Allow at least 24hrs for it to fully cure.
Have a look at this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... uling-pen/. Some very valuable experiences from the professionals.
If you have not done so hone your pen, it will allow you to draw thinner lines.
I have a small painted piece of brass that I can use to check the line thickness and paint flow.
I use set squares from an "Oxford" students drawing set with the bevel down on the work, leaving a gap so the paint cannot leech underneath it.
I use Humbrol Buff stired well unthinned. I don't bother with the red edging, it is really not that visible when you do.
Have to hand a thin pointed brush and a small amount of white spirit. If you make a mistake you can correct it or erase the line, allow to dry, then redraw.
Take your time and do not try to do everything at the same time. You have to be patient and spread the work over several days allowing 24hrs drying time between sessions. You can speed this up by batch painting your coaches rather than several days for each coach.
Apply transfer numerals etc and spray with a varnish. I use Humbrol Acrylic Satin in aerosol form.

I am bound to have forgotten something so if anyone wants to add anything feel free.