Kays O4 chassis/rods

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Kays O4 chassis/rods

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

I have been building chassis for the old Kays O4, as I've bought six cheaply to convert into the large boiler rebuilds, etc.

However, using the Kays coupling rods to determine the reasonably accurate axle spacing, I've found that the resultant wheelbase is 1.5mm oversize.

The Millholme rods for the GCR Q4 are the corect length.

Personally, I'm not going to rebuild the four chassis that I've already built, as I hadn't noticed the diference until I tried to fit spare Q4 rods to an O4 chassis.

Now to slave away at my workbench until to football stats.

Earlswood nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Kays O4 chassis/rods

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

If you hadn't told us about the wheelbase, how many would have noticed it from the look of the models?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all from the Surrey Riviera

Exactly, Altantic, I hadn't noticed it, and have decided to build the remaining two O4 chassis to the same dimensions.

I shall leave the Q4 at the correct wheelbase.

When I get round to building a S1, I shall probably use the spare set of Q4 rods to form the chassis. The rest of the Q4 has been put aside for conversion to a B9 (Superheated version).

I think I shall have to live to 100 years, to complete all the projects & plans that I have.

Easlswood Nob

(A signal box close to where I grew up)
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:11 pm If you hadn't told us about the wheelbase, how many would have noticed it from the look of the models?
You would need a very acute eye to spot that error, unless some associated severe disproportion was also present. Bachmann's neat looking Pepp A2 is 53.5mm in the coupled wheelbase, another 1.5mm error. It doesn't jab me in the eye, even though I was aware that Bachmann would have to 'do something' to make this a working model, and there was very little fuss that I can recall about this clear deviation from prototype dimensions.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

C1 and C2 Atlantic coupled wheelbase is always going to be wrong to..... :wink:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

But have you checked the OO RTR model of the C1? It has a coupled wheelbase of 27.5mm which is not bad for the prototype 6'10". The compromise adopted is to reduce the tyre diameters to very very worn condition. It's been well done, and as a result they haven't needed to stretch the loco bodywork at all or 'nudge' the bogie forward to enable the trailing bogie wheel flanges to clear the leading driver flanges. Again no howls of protest over this. (Now we just have to persuade them that a batch of spare straight connecting rods would be a good plan.)