Transition

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bunkerbarge
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Transition

Post by Bunkerbarge »

I'm modelling the LNER in an area around the Lincolnshire Loop at around 1948 so I can incorporate LNER stock and the first of the BR stock. I already have a train of 61' 6" Gresleys in teak for the main line and a train of Gresley and Thompson suburbans for the branch line and I am now looking at incorporating some early BR into the mix.

My question to all you learned gents is this, would Hornby Gresley 61' 6" coaches in the early BR Blood and Custard be appropriate to mix in on the main line train and would the Gresley suburbans in early BR maroon be appropriate to mix in with the suburban trains? I've also seen Hornby Gresley 61' 6" coaches in maroon livery but wouldn't these be a later livery?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Transition

Post by jwealleans »

Maroon came in in 1956, so that's definitely out of period. I think crimson, with or without cream, was settled on in 1948/9 as a livery so probably also outside your period or only just appearing on ex-works vehicles - depending how flexible you choose to be.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Teak for Gresley carriages and pseudo teak for Thompsons. Non-vestibule (non-gangwayed or what you incorrectly refer to as 'suburbans') unlined teak.

Older pre-grouping stock mainly the teak brown paint colour.

Large number 1s in First Class windows, as the current Bachmann pseudo teak Thompsons. Some experimenting with the location of carriage running numbers on newly out-shopped vehicles, either left-hand end or central, before settling later on the right-hand end.

1948 is essentially LNER, with some early shopped locomotives bearing 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' on tenders or tanks and locomotive and carriage running numbers etc. starting to appear in Gill Sans lettering, albeit with two variations of the numerals 6 and 9.
Bunkerbarge
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Bunkerbarge »

65447 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:57 pm Non-vestibule (non-gangwayed or what you incorrectly refer to as 'suburbans') unlined teak.
OK so no blood and custard for 1948, many thanks gents.

Just so I can get it right in the future is there any difference in my referral to the non vestibuled coaches as 'suburban' as opposed to the references here:

viewtopic.php?t=9606

viewtopic.php?t=11507

viewtopic.php?t=10453

viewtopic.php?t=9958

many thanks for the help gents.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Non vestibule carriages is the correct term, suburban is not, but is used by people as a term for non express carriages.
Non vestibule carriages were used on many secondary services, as well as suburban work, but the carriages would all be different, a non vestibule carriage designed for high density traffic i.e. Kings X services would not be the same as a long distance secondary service non vestibule carriage. I doubt this really explains it, but I know what I mean.

(corrected some silly spelling)
Last edited by Dave on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

If 1948 is your idea. Forget British Railways.

65447, JW and Dave are the best help you can get.

Not much, other than an occasional number, will have changed.

BR carriages were some time away. Indeed in the wilds of Lincs I think GN stock would still be around. Therefore no R-T-R Hornbys will really help.

John
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

I think the operative term at the time was 'cascaded stock'. Therefore, except for occasional examples, think late 1930s!
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Bunkerbarge wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:59 pm
65447 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:57 pm Non-vestibule (non-gangwayed or what you incorrectly refer to as 'suburbans') unlined teak.
Just so I can get it right in the future is there any difference in my referral to the non vestibuled coaches as 'suburban' as opposed to the references here:

viewtopic.php?t=9606

viewtopic.php?t=11507

viewtopic.php?t=10453

viewtopic.php?t=9958

many thanks for the help gents.
First, thank (?) Hornby for misnaming them in their catalogues and marketing material - see how easy it is to spread fake news? None of them are suburban stock in the true sense, although many were used in those services in the same way as they were used on secondary services operating through sparsely populated areas (such as rural Lincolnshire) and those running on main lines.

Second shame on those members of this forum who really should know better.
Bunkerbarge
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Bunkerbarge »

I think I have a much better idea now. Many thanks for your help gents, very much appreciated. I liked the idea of Blood and custard but I don't want to really go later than 1948 and am really aiming for '45 to '48 so I can still include war time black liveries and well used war time stock.