Wisbech & Upwell Coach livery

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

andersley
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Wisbech & Upwell Coach livery

Post by andersley »

I am assembling some kits for these for a friend. For the LNER livery the instructions just say 'coach brown' and the lettering as LNER on the left and number on the right.

Does anyone have any information on these, or the colour paint to use? Would the brown be a teak colour?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Alan
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Gadsden et al "The Wisbech & Upell Railway" is strangely quiet on coach liveries. It does mention the Y6s and J70s as having "freight brown" (=brake van, fitted wagon, and coaching stock vans) during LNER days, so this is another possibility.

My J70 has a 6 wheel generic clerestory that I painted in "teak", but then the J70 is in Sodor colours :-)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
owd sweedy
LNER J39 0-6-0

Wisbech & Upwell coach livery

Post by owd sweedy »

Hi Alen
there is a colour photo in Peter Swingers book On Great Eastern Lines, Ian Allen publishing, taken in 1938. It shows the two coaches that went to the Tollesbury branch in LNER livery with Carriage Brown paint. One of these vehicles was preserved and is undergoing restoration on the North Norfolk Rly.

http://www.mandgn.co.uk/carriages_vintage_wandu.htm

Peter.