Kings Cross to Leeds

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

Kings Cross to Leeds

Post by Mickey »

Kings Cross to Leeds a historically inaccurate layout but a bit of fun to operate I presume.

http://letsgoloco.co.uk/kings-cross-leeds-steam/
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Kings Cross to Leeds

Post by jwealleans »

Great place to visit if you get the chance, Mickey. All operated using blocks and bell codes.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Yeah the layout actually looks pretty good Mr.Wealleans I particularly like the 'London end' featuring Kings Cross station, Kings Cross Goods yard & Hornsey road part of the layout.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Yes, it is an operator's model railway. This is an aspect of the hobby that is not much promoted from the commercial side, I suspect because the product opportunity is significantly smaller than selling pretty locomotives to either stand in display cases or never emerge from the box.

Yet it is the timetabled guided route operation that is the heart of the fascination for some of us. No need for any of that landscape around it, there's no trains on that: just the track and key functional features for the trains to operate on. It is a minority taste in the hobby.

I recall some pretty criticial correspondence in one of the modelling mags circa 1970 when they had dared to cover an 'operational only' rather than fully sceniced layout. Oh dear, this just wasn't on, 'not railway modelling'. Currently there's fussing over Pendon on RMWeb. For my taste that's the classic example of 'not railway modelling', it's a landscape model that just happens to be seasoned with 1% GWR extract.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I agree that it is an impressive achievement in many ways of an ambitious idea. Unless they've considerably improved the power controllers in recent years then they are one thing that badly spoils operational "realism" on this layout. Locos and trains are not being operated realistically if they start off reasonably slowly but then lurch to a considerably higher speed when somebody throws a big switch! Slamming locos on to full power when they are already losing their feet trying to pull stiff, heavy trains up gradients and round curves that are too much for them, where an over ambitious track layout has been crammed in, also does nothing to contribute to satisfying operation.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

I only became fully aware of Grantham when I joined the LNER Society during my last visit in April and read an article on the layout in one of the earlier journals. My next UK visit will be in September/October next year(2019) and I certainly hope there will be some chance of seeing it then. It looks amazing.
Graeme Leary
New Zealand
markeg
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by markeg »

Agree that it is a great place to visit. Was there in 2011 visiting from Australia.
Mark
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Ar'n't we lucky that 'Model Railways' is a broad canvas, we have plenty of scales, and rule no 1 is at work everywhere. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

I enjoyed visiting the GMRS with my parents that I took my girlfriend there not long after we started seeing each other. She thought that the old school was a bit cramped, but the way that the layout is set up makes for a very good visual spectacle. We adjourned to West Stockwith afterwards.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.