D49/1 234/Yorkshire

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

D49/1 234/Yorkshire

Post by Graeme Leary »

I have a Hornby Railroad model R3296X labelled D49/1 Hunt Class 238 The Burton which I plan to rename/number as 'Shire' class 234/Yorkshire. (My understanding is that the Shires and the Hunts were the same class - D49 - so not major outline/design problems doing so).

I have 2 good photos from the era of 234/Yorkshire , one in 'LNER Reflections' (edited by Nigel Harris); the other in RCTS Part 4 and both locos appear quite similar to the Hornby model. However, one obvious variation is the cylinder boxes on the model are lined in white (the photos appear not to be) but these linings can be easily painted over.

More importantly is what RCTS Part 4 describes as 'a feature on the Part 1 engines was the rectangular box fitted on the running board etc etc'. To replicate this I would imagine is a 'must do' element of my proposed alteration/renaming and I suppose that as mine is a "Railroad' model Hornby saw this as a chance to omit this sort of detail. However, prototypically could this have been added by Gresley - or even Thompson in a rebuild) at a later date as a safety precaution to cover the protruding expansion link in the outside valve motion, and the loco operated without it for any period of time? I do admit however the expression 'a feature of the Part 1 engines' in RCTS suggests these covers were there from the start and should be added. Is this correct?

Are there any other obvious differences 'missed' in the model that I've not picked up and should also do?

Graeme Leary
New Zealand
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: D49/1 234/Yorkshire

Post by Atso »

Hi Graeme,

When I was designing my N gauge version of Yorkshire, the boxes covering the expansion link was an area I studied pictures of quite closely. The box has a sloping cover at the front that makes room for the radius rod when in reverse gear and, as the expansion link extends up through the running plate on the prototype, I doubt that any ran without this feature.

The other most notable thing I can think of is that the Shires didn't have outside steam pipes from the smoke box to the cylinders so these will have to be removed from the Hunt body. The steam reverser(?) on the left hand side of the boiler will need to be removed and replaced with a shorter version (Yorkshire was steam reversed) and you'll need to find an earlier tender with stepped out sides.

As a bit of inspiration, here is my N gauge version of Yorkshire. It was originally going to be Lincolnshire, as that locomotive was allocated to Kings Cross for a short time, but nobody did the nameplates in N gauge!
LNER D49 Yorkshire running on The North of England Line - photo Tony Wright.jpg
My thanks to Tony Wright for taking this wonderful photograph and the North of England Line team for letting us use their layout as a backdrop.
Steve
JonBates
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by JonBates »

Graeme

The Hornby model is effectively a Hunt body on a Shire chassis.

I have recently finished the same conversion as you are considering (mine was to Lancashire). I had to build a chassis because I only started with a body shell.

My list of mods is below and the starting point was an article in Nov 2015 BRM by Tony Wright. If you pm me your email address I can send you a scan.

4200g tender stepped side water scoops
1 lubricator
Add reversing lever behind nameplate
Remove outside steam pipes
Remove lenz gear pipes
Reduce boiler bands
Replace vacuum pipe
Replace smokebox handles
Add oil pipes
Add hand rail and knobs
Add lamp irons
Add valve gear covers on footplate
2 lamp irons on rear of tender lhs
Add damper lever and cover on right hand splasher
Add nameplates
Add front footsteps
First 20 had circular cover to safety valves
Boiler has two hand hole wash outs per side
Sanding to front wheel only
Drain pipes short then extended operating link to front

It is quite a nice detailing exercise. And as Atso’s photo shows they do look good in green.

Hope this helps

Jon
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The Hornby offering definitely benefits from larger cylinders in the proper place (further forward) too. I made a set from scratch, in plastic, for my conversion effort many years ago, and that tender really does need the stepped out copings for most class members pre-war. I ought to have fitted replacement Comet valve gear as well, the Hornby version being very heavy and basic in appearance, but I didn't feel up to the job or inclined to spend the money in those days so I just toned down the bright valve gear with a lot of grime.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

Maybe it's an age thing, but I have an early Hornby D49 body that's definitely a Shire.
DS239
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by DS239 »

Pebbles wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:56 pm Maybe it's an age thing, but I have an early Hornby D49 body that's definitely a Shire.
Hornby modified the tooling, the early releases had the boxes on the running plate..
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Indeed. My old "conversion", save for changing the tender type by virtue of fitting new copings, might better be described as an upgrade of the original Hornby version, Hornby Cheshire becoming an improved and much more fully lined-out Lincolnshire.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Apologies all for delay in acknowledging your comments (have been distracted by other projects I've been bombarding the forum with questions about). However, all duly noted (and fixed to the model) for when I make a start.

Graeme