G-Train Locomotive Works / Graeme King Joint Venture - GCR/LNER 4-6-0s - B3/1 & B7 available; B3/2 in progress

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: G-Train Locomotive Works / Graeme King Joint Venture - GCR/LNER 4-6-0s - First up: B3!

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Well fancy that. I don't recall that half-etched hinge being my original suggestion, although I did agree that it would be a handy option for builders wishing to portray a burnished hinge.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Re: G-Train Locomotive Works / Graeme King Joint Venture - GCR/LNER 4-6-0s - First up: B3!

Post by Horsetan »

I'm sure it'll be worth waiting for.

*starts looking at nearest available AGW driving wheel*
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

LNER4479 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:44 pm A very pleasant day in the affable company of the resin-meister has resulted in this:

DSC04577a_LR.jpg
The resin boiler is now at production stage so the loco now sports one of the ones that has passed quality inspection. Judicious carving away the underside of the casting, out of view beneath the splashers gave enough room for it to slip over the Portescap motor and it was good to try out (successfully) the planned mounting method of drilling through the cab front piece into the solid Belpaire shoulders, tapping and fixing with 10BA bolts. Once the boiler was final trimmed to length, a final, third bolt was similarly used to affix at the front end, up through the central footplating piece into the smokebox saddle. All looked to us to line up beautifully with the key reference points on the drawing, a testimony to Graeme's undoubted skills with the resin medium.
Seeing that- a bit 'left of field' but are you still doing j6 and v2. Any thoughts of revisiting the o4/8? I did say its was 'left of field'.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Hi David,

Further J6 parts might be possible, perhaps after the turn of the year, because the moulds for the loco parts and the tender frames are still good. I'd have to decide whether to make a new master and mould for the tender tank as that old mould is poor now, although I could instead raid remaining K2 stock for tender parts - unless anybody wants a K2 or several to go on modified V3 or K3 chassis units. Don't all rush forward please, just form an orderly queue...

The V2 is extremely unlikely at present. The current mould is very poor and renewal would take up a fair bit of effort, money, and above all time that I don't currently have. Ironically, the last of two extra "special request" bodies that I'd coaxed out of the mould at least eighteen months ago, only to find that only one was wanted, finally found a buyer two weeks ago.

I have no plans for any resin parts (beyond existing chimney, Gorton angular dome cover and rear sandboxes) for the O4/8. Although the conversion involves some scratch building to create a smokebox saddle and the lower parts of a cab there's not an enormous amount of work in it beyond putting a B1 cab and body onto an O4 running plate, with care. Sorting out a way to achieve as good a result or even a better one in resin would take time and effort, and the trouble is that for me the result does not directly serve any purpose in my own 1930s LNER modelling scheme with which I'm struggling to make progress. Anything new in resin now is likely to be confined to items that belong in that era.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
davidwest

Post by davidwest »

Thanks Graeme. Shame about the v2. I'll be in contact early next year re j6. We'll be moving to Cardiff in the new year. I'll contact you by email then. Many thanks.
LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

A quick piece of video if you haven't already seen it over on the dark side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFEhZ_nS26A

It also had Jonathan's recently acquired 'Valour' for company :)
DSC04724_LR.jpg
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

Newsflash...

Just had word of the cost of the first production batch of etches so that means that they should be with me any day. So looks like we're on track for processing orders and posting out following the Warley show, as planned.

Look out for the prototype loco on Graeme's demo stand if you're going to the show.

PS - Nick is working on tweaking the B3 etch to create the Caprotti version, for those interested. B7 will follow straight after that...
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
iainkirk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by iainkirk »

Whooooosh! 🤯
Perfection is impossible, however I may choose to serve perfection - Robert Fripp
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

While this is the wrong scale for me, I am really looking forward to seeing the prototype on Saturday.
Steve
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Keep it coming. Looking forward to perving over the finished pack :mrgreen:
scratcher
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by scratcher »

Also looking forward to seeing it for real on Sunday.
iainkirk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by iainkirk »

Well having seen the beastie in the flesh, I am absolutely thrilled at what is afoot.
Bring on the B7!
Perfection is impossible, however I may choose to serve perfection - Robert Fripp
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Am I so inobservant that I failed to recognise you at the show Mr Kirk? If so perhaps I need to see a decent optician (not one of those whose name is constantly rammed down everybody's throats by advertising)...

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

I got to see the B3 in the flesh on Saturday too. It is a stunning model and a real created to the designers, etchers and pattern makers - shame it is the wrong scale! :roll:
Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:22 pm Am I so inobservant that I failed to recognise you at the show Mr Kirk? If so perhaps I need to see a decent optician (not one of those whose name is constantly rammed down everybody's throats by advertising)...
'Should have gone to...' (Sorry Graeme, couldn't resist!)
Steve
iainkirk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by iainkirk »

Well at the time it was a wee crowded about you. Three deep I think?
Not to worry sir, your visual acuity is nae failing
I returned later mind and one was taking a natural break or something :lol: