G-Train Locomotive Works / Graeme King Joint Venture - GCR/LNER 4-6-0s - B3/1 & B7 available; B3/2 in progress

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: G-Train Locomotive Works / Graeme King Joint Venture - GCR/LNER 4-6-0s - First up: B3!

Post by LNER4479 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:12 am As my fellow conspirator is burning the midnight oil trying to get his chunk of the "full prototype" ready for an auspicious union with the resin parts later this week, and has therefore only found time to post his latest update over on the "no criticism of large manufacturers or of dumbed-down television programmes permitted" website, I hope he won't mind the fact that I've stolen his images and that I am about to post them here, in reduced form. He can take issue with me in person, mid-week, if necessary....
Au contraire, mon ami - I be very grateful to you, so I be. Have been wracked with guilt all day at my inept failure to keep both threads level with each other.

Looks like some fine work there to get all the multi-various pots and pans sorted out for atop the boiler and other places. :D
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: G-Train Locomotive Works / Graeme King Joint Venture - GCR/LNER 4-6-0s - First up: B3!

Post by mick b »

Excellent work , shame I do not model the GCR area . :shock:
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

mick b wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:38 pm Excellent work , shame I do not model the GCR area . :shock:
Never too late to start :!:

I don't usually (try to) model anything that isn't preserved, but the B3 is a subject that has fascinated me ever since I saw it in E.M. Johnson's book, so this kit was too good to miss. There probably won't be another opportunity to try one this side of 2050 (and I'll hopefully be dead by then).
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

LNER4479 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:07 pm
Atlantic 3279 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:12 am As my fellow conspirator is burning the midnight oil trying to get his chunk of the "full prototype" ready for an auspicious union with the resin parts later this week, and has therefore only found time to post his latest update over on the "no criticism of large manufacturers or of dumbed-down television programmes permitted" website, I hope he won't mind the fact that I've stolen his images and that I am about to post them here, in reduced form. He can take issue with me in person, mid-week, if necessary....
Au contraire, mon ami - I be very grateful to you, so I be. Have been wracked with guilt all day at my inept failure to keep both threads level with each other.

Looks like some fine work there to get all the multi-various pots and pans sorted out for atop the boiler and other places. :D
Has someone been at Roger Wilkins' cider, so I be? Very Best of Somerset.

John
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Looking good Graeme. I can see I'll be ordering some of the small domes as extras.
Andrew
LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

A very pleasant day in the affable company of the resin-meister has resulted in this:
DSC04577a_LR.jpg
The resin boiler is now at production stage so the loco now sports one of the ones that has passed quality inspection. Judicious carving away the underside of the casting, out of view beneath the splashers gave enough room for it to slip over the Portescap motor and it was good to try out (successfully) the planned mounting method of drilling through the cab front piece into the solid Belpaire shoulders, tapping and fixing with 10BA bolts. Once the boiler was final trimmed to length, a final, third bolt was similarly used to affix at the front end, up through the central footplating piece into the smokebox saddle. All looked to us to line up beautifully with the key reference points on the drawing, a testimony to Graeme's undoubted skills with the resin medium.
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Looks excellent
scratcher
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by scratcher »

It certainly does.

Please can I ask which make of wheels you are using?
LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

smhdog wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:02 pm Please can I ask which make of wheels you are using?
Hi.

Driving wheels are Markits LNER 20 spoke 26mm
Bogie wheels are Gibson 14mm 10 spoke

I prefer the finer Gibson wheels for bogies are they're usually quite prominent at the front end - but less forgiving on uneven trackwork.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

That is looking very good, very good work.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

LNER4479 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:44 pm A very pleasant day in the affable company of the resin-meister has resulted in this:

DSC04577a_LR.jpg
The resin boiler is now at production stage so the loco now sports one of the ones that has passed quality inspection. Judicious carving away the underside of the casting, out of view beneath the splashers gave enough room for it to slip over the Portescap motor and it was good to try out (successfully) the planned mounting method of drilling through the cab front piece into the solid Belpaire shoulders, tapping and fixing with 10BA bolts. Once the boiler was final trimmed to length, a final, third bolt was similarly used to affix at the front end, up through the central footplating piece into the smokebox saddle. All looked to us to line up beautifully with the key reference points on the drawing, a testimony to Graeme's undoubted skills with the resin medium.
Might we see kits being made available in the New Year :?:
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

With any luck, by the end of today I should have at least 20 full sets of resin parts ready for further examination by, and handover to, Graham Nicholas (in due course) so that he can take care of most of the distribution, following the official launch in November. More parts production will be possible once I've had some time to catch up on many other things, including as top priority the production of some long-promised further P2 Bugatti noses for those who have already put in requests. Any fresh P2 requests or other requests for items I don't currently have will I'm afraid have to be dealt with at a slightly later date.

I'll probably supply Graham with a small number of chimneys and domes in excess of basic needs, for those who for some reason know that they want to build a loco but cannot yet decide which features are required, but he won't have enough of them for every buyer to have every type. Further examples will of course be available from me on suitable terms....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:56 am With any luck, by the end of today I should have at least 20 full sets of resin parts ready for further examination by, and handover to, Graham Nicholas (in due course) so that he can take care of most of the distribution, following the official launch in November. ....
Encouraging.
LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

Meanwhile, following a meet up with Nick (Easton) at the Leeds show, I have this evening forwarded on to him the final tweaks to the etch design for his attention. Hopefully shouldn't take too long and then a production order of etches will be on their way. So, with a fair wind, hoping to start sending kits out either side of Xmas :wink:
LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

As a quick further update, Nick has now amended the etch design with a few, final tweaks I fed back to him. Also included now is a half-etch for the distinctive smokebox door hinge (Graeme's suggestion). Nick is now away for a few weeks so will arrange for the new batch of etches when he returns. Based on the last time, I would anticipate the etches being available mid-December. :wink: