Quicksilver's Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Quicksilver's Workbench - Small beginnings

Post by jwealleans »

Thanks to you and your good lady for taking the time to come and say hello at Warley, Joshua.

That's really turned out very well, you should be pleased with it.
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

Re bogies

Dad worked for Hornby at Margate, The 'staff discount' was too good to be misssed and his access to he parts bin saw all of my KIrk kits running on Hornby Gresley bogies.
iainkirk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by iainkirk »

Bravo young matey, a very impressive beastie.
Onwardsvto ones next one?
Perfection is impossible, however I may choose to serve perfection - Robert Fripp
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

jwealleans wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:15 pm Thanks to you and your good lady for taking the time to come and say hello at Warley, Joshua.

That's really turned out very well, you should be pleased with it.
It was a pleasure to meet you too Jonathan! Much obliged for your tips!
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Please nobody look too closely! I feel my relationship with my bow pen is somewhat "love-hate"... Rather pleased with the overall effect of the lining, even if there may be a few small niggles with its accuracy and fineness in places. Deliberately not shown the coach ends which are a little more patchy :roll:

IMG_2286.jpg
IMG_2287.jpg

Until next time!

Joshua
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Not too much wrong with that. I use a cocktail stick dipped in white spirit to tidy up lining. Ends are a bugger and I hate lining them.
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

As Jonathan says, you need to clean up as you go before the paint dries. Regarding white spirit, this is assuming you are using enamel not acrylic for the lining.

This video of me lining the Rails Dynamometer Car might help: https://youtu.be/mYLDwbD3NfQ
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The photographs don't suggest to me that there's much wrong with the lining, so if the builder is dissatisfied he is obviously setting himself high standards. Nothing wrong with doing so, providing the resultant self-induced stress does not become unbearable.

I agree that ends are never the easiest things to line. I always have tissues and thinners at the ready in case of the need to wipe the whole lot off and start again once the surface is dry.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

Biggest problem with lining the ends is the curved outer beading. For this a make a template out of styrene filed to match the curve then use that as a guide for the bow pen.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Good video Mike, and well explained.

Maybe a video on honing the pen.
Why do you not use a Rotring or similar pen?

Like you I have an drafting set, from my apprenticeship, so a couple of decent pens.
now to practice.

Would it not however be a good idea to have a block of wood or even polystyrene to rest
your wrist on to help with the movement?

Nice work on the dyna car though.

Paul
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Thanks for the replies gents! I have actually been using the cocktail stick and white spirit technique (perhaps not perfectly). Perhaps you're right Graeme and I'm just being a little too perfectionist about things! Incidentally, this beauty turned up in the post this week:

IMG_2289.jpg

Been keeping an eye on most of the major online sellers - managed to get hold of a copy for just £16 on a certain website relating to a South American river - given its been mostly above £30 as of late I'm fairly pleased!

I'll soon be starting work on the underframe, which is a potential minefield through which I no doubt will need much guidance!

Until next time!

Joshua
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Some thought is currently being given as to the guise in which the finished model is to appear. I am building the kit as a dia 113. Looking through Michael Harris book, I think I'll turn it out as one of the 1934 built vehicles for the GN section, 4145-7. I assume by this point angle truss underframes would have been standard. However, does anyone have any information on what type of bogie the dia 113 would be using at this point. I know there was a change from Fox 8' bogies to Gresley 8' bogies at some point, but I can't obviously find any evidence of when that occurred. Anyone got any thoughts?

Joshua
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

You'd need to check photos - 1934 is in the grey area for underframe type. While you're there, check bogies as well - as a rule of thumb, Fox prewar and gresley post, but there are exceptions in both directions. Sorry not to be more help, but you've hit the corridor of uncertainty there.
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

The official photos show 5219 built 1932 with turnbuckle underframe and 8'0" Gresley bogies and both 4145 and 4147 built 1934 with steel angle underframes and 8'0" Gresley bogies. They are all shown with clipped buffers.
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Thanks for the replies gents. It seems I can go for angle iron and Gresley bogies for 4147 then.

Out of interest Mike, where would one find the photos you describe? Is there a particular source?

Thanks in advance.

Joshua