Quicksilver's Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Quicksilver's Workbench

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Hello Everyone,

Couple of quick livery questions! I currently have the Isinglass Dia 310 ex-GNR Milk Brake on the workbench as shown below:

IMG_4444 copy.JPG

As I understand it, by the late 1930s, the ends of such a vehicle would be painted black. However, I'm unsure how the paint scheme works at the stepped end. Would the steps be black? Also, would the curved handrails above the steps also be black? Or would these be "teak"? Or even white?

Also, I have seen a few examples of this kit finished with the handrails etc on the side in plain brass. Is that correct? I've certainly seen some other vehicles where the metalwork was finished in a "tan" colour. If this was in plain brass, what decision making process guided the finish applied to what vehicles?

As an aside, I'm also interested in sourcing suitable buffers for the kit. The drawings show oval headed buffers. However, as I am modelling 1937, might these have been changed when in works to the clipped style? If not, does anyone supply LNER/GNR Oval buffers?

Thanks in advance,

Joshua
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Some updates on the LNER 12T ballast brake. This is the second prototype, which I'm very happy with. Here it is in primer, ready for the application of Oxford Blue. Do excuse the roof which is loose so that it can be painted inside. Some minor tweaks required to the CAD for future models, but overall very pleased with progress! Still on the hunt for any additional photos of the prototype in traffic.

Joshua

Primed Body.jpg
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Morning,

Did you find the answers to your questions about the milk brake livery, Joshua?
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Hi Jonathan,

I've made an educated guess at the end black arrangement. Will post some pictures and you can tell me if I've got it right! Still unsure about LNER door handle painting practice generally. How would one know if something should be unpainted brass, or "tan" painted?

As far as buffers go, I've sourced some Markits ones which are very similar. Not perfect but I'll put up with it!

Thanks,

Joshua
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

My understanding for my period (mid-late 1930s) is that handrails/grab irons were painted brown. The door handles themselves I think were brass.

As to the end steps - on all my ex GN coaches and the Dia 310 Milk Brake I've painted them black the same as the end.
Andrew
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Woodcock29 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:54 pm My understanding for my period (mid-late 1930s) is that handrails/grab irons were painted brown. The door handles themselves I think were brass.
By that logic, any handrails on the GNR milk brake as seen in 1937 would also be brown. Will probably go down that route then!

Meanwhile, work on the milk brake has somewhat stalled whilst I've been working to complete the 12T Ballast Brake. Just some matt varnish and glazing, and we should be finished!

DSC_0419 copy.JPG
DSC_0426 copy.JPG

Joshua
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Please to report the milk brake is now finished! Rather pleased with the result!

DSC_0478 copy.jpg

Joshua
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

As well you might be. Can you manage a bigger picture, or some clear close-ups of parts of the model?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Thanks Graeme,

I'll do my best, although the max image size coupled with my poor photography doesn't help!

Hopefully this is better:

DSC_0490 copy.JPG

Some of the less perfect elements may be revealed with this cruel close up, but thankfully are all but invisible at normal viewing distance!

Joshua
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I can see more now. The teak colours are good. Did you do anything to try to reduce or eliminate the print ridges? I see that they are still a little visible, emphasized perhaps by the shiny finish. They are certainly more subtle than those evident on some Isinglass sample pieces that I received 4 or 5 years ago.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

No, this is unaltered. I did use Halfords filler primer which may have contributed to some slight reduction, but I doubt the impact would have been great. Teaking was once again achieved using the Mike Trice method, although I tried to darken the panels more with acrylics prior to adding the oil top coat. When I get my hands on a decent matt varnish I will try and dampen the glossy finish a little, which may help again. Also, I should add that from regular viewing distance, the print ridges are almost imperceptible, and to my eye blend into the wood grain texture for the most part.

I've seen some pictures of the early samples, and these are in a completely different league. Not perfect perhaps, but to my mind more than sufficient, especially given the standard of my own modelling abilities.

Joshua
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Quick question for anyone who may know! I currently have a Parkside PC24 ex NER bogie bolster wagon kit on the workbench. Has anyone seen any photos of these vehicles in LNER livery? Not sure on the locations/size of lettering and numbering. Been scouring around and found nothing so far - can't even find any photos of someone else who has built one!

Thanks in advance,

Joshua
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Some more progress on a couple of projects.

Firstly, work has begun on the Isinglass ex-GNR dia 257 BTK, which is now on its wheels. I have decided to finish this with boarded up end windows following an earlier conversation on the topic, but have yet to actually complete the boarding. Planning to run off a series of additional detailing components from the silhouette cutter such as the full length step boards.

IMG_5385 copy.jpeg

Not content with bogging myself down with just one project, I decided I may as well attempt to build a series of vehicles as a batch, so additionally on the workbench is now an Ian Kirk-based restaurant triplet. I say Kirk-based as I have had a set of sides for this sat in my project box for the best part of three years, and finally decided it was time to do something with them. Andy of Isinglass has provided all the additional components (sides, underframes, bogies, roof etc). The vehicle is probably more Isinglass than Kirk in reality. Having received the extra bits this week, I set about with basic assembly. The Kitchen Car roof was slightly oversize so I still await a replacement.

IMG_6047 copy.jpg

The kit is to be finished as the 1928 built GNR section triplet, no.s 46191-46193 Dia 14A-13-12B. This set formed part of the 1:30pm Leeds Express, so will be hopefully be seen on my eventual layout regularly. One thing I'm experimenting with is the use of the Symoba close coupling posts which increase the distance between vehicles on curves but reduce it on straights. These are in use on the articulation bogies and hopefully should allow a more prototypical gap between vehicles whilst allowing them to traverse off-scene train set curves. All seems well at the moment, but I am wondering what would be the best arrangement when adding corridor gangways. The current school of thought is to use paper bellows with magnets to secure them to the doorways. This should hopefully prevent any fouling but also allow easy separation of the vehicles. Has anyone with experience of building corridor articulated carriages got any pearls of wisdom on this?

IMG_6052 copy.jpeg

Further updates to follow.

Cheers,

Joshua
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Some more progress has been made on the RTS in the last couple of weeks. Work has largely focussed on the bodies, with all three nearing completion:

IMG_6162 copy.JPG
IMG_6163 copy.JPG
IMG_6164 copy.JPG
IMG_6165 copy.JPG

I do have a couple of queries that perhaps someone may have an answer to. Firstly the "kitchen" lettering on on the kitchen car - does anyone produce this as a transfer? Not sure how others have achieved this on their models.
Also, the curtains in first class, do we know what colour they would have been on the prototype?

Thanks,

Joshua
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Morning Joshua,

To your first question, no. I simply leave it unmarked.

Secondly, I've always done mine green to match the seats. I can't recall where I picked that up (Harris, almost certainly) but no-one has ever queried it.