Quicksilver's Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Quicksilver's Workbench

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Lovely looking coaches. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

The Barnum is now complete. Very enjoyable kit to build, I expect I may do some more in future.

FullSizeRender 2 copy.jpg

Joshua
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Very nice.

Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Certainly not much to complain about there. They can definitely be finished more quickly than I've been demonstrating with mine.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Thanks both! I've opted to go for "crestless" windows for now, but have attached them fairly lightly so can switch them out pending more evidence if needs be.

The hot weather has certainly given more modelling time - long evenings awaiting the bedroom to cool sufficiently to sleep turn out to be ideal. The most time consuming part of the build were the underframe modifications to allow traversal of 2nd radius curves. I wonder about asking Alan if he'd be willing to make the change in the 3D print, as I don't believe the material I've filed out has had a serious impact on the structural rigidity of the frame. I suppose it depends on demand for such a requirement.

Joshua
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I imagine that EM/P4 modellers would be glad of some extra space in which the bogies can turn.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Evening All,

Far too long without an update on here. In the last 12 months a lot of progress has been made.

I have completed a second Alan Rose Barnum, this time a brake:

IMG_7867.JPG

Next up I have modified a Hornby J50 with a replacement silhouette cut bunker to represent an example based at Ardesley in the late 1930s:

IMG_7257.JPG
IMG_7260.JPG

I have also completed work on modifying the Chivers Dia120 BGP to represent a Dia176 vehicle. Some changes to the underframe, roof vents etc have been applied to give the correct appearance:

IMG_7270.JPG

Joshua
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Other projects have included a pair of Isinglass kits. Firstly a Dia23 TK:

IMG_7853.JPG

Next up was a Dia218D exGNR triplet:

IMG_7882.JPG

The latest project on the pile has been scratch built silhouette-cut GNR Ballast wagons. Here are some (almost) completed examples of the 22ft9in variant, although I am working on some others. Still require buffers to complete.

IMG_8364.JPG
IMG_8367.JPG

Joshua
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Coaches and wagons look great.

I have done a 3D print of the same ballast wagon and was looking at modifying the model to have a pair with the doors open to carry rails. As far as I can see the end door folds outwards but it appears in one pic in the Tatlow book to have been folded inwards to accommodate becoming a bolster wagon. What did you make of this arrangement?
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Phil Brighton wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:56 pm Coaches and wagons look great.

I have done a 3D print of the same ballast wagon and was looking at modifying the model to have a pair with the doors open to carry rails. As far as I can see the end door folds outwards but it appears in one pic in the Tatlow book to have been folded inwards to accommodate becoming a bolster wagon. What did you make of this arrangement?
Thanks!

I’ve been doing a bit of research on that, and it seems that the ends did fold inwards. There’s some photos of these wagons in use for clearing scrap following the 1935 Welwyn crash and several show the ends folded inwards. Two of those modelled above are designed as this variant, since they ran in pairs to carry lengths of rail on the bolsters. I’ve modelled them with a fixed piece between the two bolsters such that the two wagons effectively run as bogies with the rail load as the carriage suspended on top. Do you have any pictures of your attempts?

Joshua
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Sorry for the delay in replying. I would like to see that image as I haven't got anything showing how they were used as rail wagons.
Here is my first print. The axle box covers are just paper. Apologies for poor photo.
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-18 at 09.27.16.jpeg
Jim de Griz
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Jim de Griz »

Quicksilver95 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:38 pm
Next up was a Dia218D exGNR triplet:

Joshua

This is such an interesting prototype and it looks so good.

How do you find it runs?

Jim de Griz