Quicksilver's Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Quicksilver's Workbench - Small beginnings

Post by MikeTrice »

What was the NRM. Just saying Railway Museum seems less descriptive somehow.
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Quicksilver's Workbench

Post by Quicksilver95 »

After a bit of a hiatus (who knew wedding planning was so time consuming...?), I'm pleased to report some progress; the full brake is rolling! I have used MJT 8' rigid frame bogies along with their cosmetic sides, which went together surprisingly easily given I have very little experience in soldering brass. I have some other MJT underframe components which need to go on, but slowly its getting there. Unfortunately my track laying of years past has not been the best so there are some locations where the bogies are put at such strange angles that they cause the Alan Gibson wheels to foul some of the mouldings on the Kirk floor. I intend to file this back to suit. Does anyone have any general underframe/running gear tips?

Thanks in advance,

Joshua

IMG_2420.jpg
IMG_2421.jpg
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I have had to put a thickness of brass (a lump of spare fret, usually) under the pressstud on some of the brass carriages I've built. I assumed it was due to the larger flanges of the Hornby wheels I used, but maybe not.

If the bogies are pitching that much, I'd be revisiting the track, I think.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Clean just enough of the offending moulded ribs off the underside of the Kirk floor? I'm happy to admit to doing that to some of mine, and to cutting / gouging / scraping material out of the back of the solebars to allow the bogies to swing sufficiently on curves without the wheels binding on the solebar backs. How much time do you really want to spend admiring the supposed authenticity of those parts, only visible with the carriage inverted, and how does that desire compare with the wish to have a vehicle that runs nicely?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Well I know it's been a while on here, but what with life events getting in the way, the Kirk Dia 113 BG has taken a while to get finished. Pleased to say it is finally done however!
FullSizeRender copy.jpg
IMG_3946 copy.JPG
I have also been working on an Isinglass Dia 40 BTK, which is almost complete. Photos to follow.

Thanks,

Joshua
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Looks like a nice result.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Next up on the workbench, a GNR dia 358 CCT. I've had my Silhouette Portrait 2 cutter for over a year now but hadn't had the time to get it out the box and experiment. After a couple of tests, this is my first attempt. Still needs some additional detailing, but generally very pleased with how it's turned out. Does anyone have any thoughts about suitable buffers for this CCT?
IMG_3999 copy.JPG
Thanks,

Joshua
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

My 4mm GN CCTs came from D&S kits, no longer available.

I think Mike Trice does some suitable GN 3 bolt coach buffers via Shapeways.

I am sure Mike is the person to ask.

John
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Thanks John,

Having had another look at the diagram and some photos, I'm sure you're right. However, I'm planning to order everything I'm likely to need for the next few years from Mike's Shapeways shop in one go to avoid paying any more Shapeways postage fees than I need to - so buffers will have to wait until I'm ready for that expensive moment! For now, I've continued work on the body, wire grab handles, lamp irons and door handles have been added, the body has been primed and a first layer of "teak" paint added.

IMG_4008 copy.JPG

Joshua
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

More work on the GNR Dia 358 CCT. Another coat of "Teak" colour paint, a coat of varnish, a coat of white paint on the roof and a few HMRS transfers later and this is the result:

IMG_4072 copy.JPG

Out of interest, does anyone have any thoughts on how best to replicate the "information" marked on the body as shown in the attached screenshot? There's no equivalent transfer on the sheet, do any of the other manufacturers produce one, or maybe a few dashed lines of white paint with a cocktail stick might suffice? Any thoughts?

GN CCT 1926 copy.jpg
GN CCT 1926 copy.jpg (10.41 KiB) Viewed 11051 times

Thanks,

Joshua
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Contact Precision Labels on the net. He has done similar in the past , he may still have the artwork.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I commissioned those - if you mention my name and horseboxes (the data panel is for a horsebox, a GN one IIRC) then John may find them more easily.

Are you making parts or the instruction file for that CCT available? I've fancied a go at something like that for a while.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

jwealleans wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:36 am I commissioned those - if you mention my name and horseboxes (the data panel is for a horsebox, a GN one IIRC) then John may find them more easily.

Are you making parts or the instruction file for that CCT available? I've fancied a go at something like that for a while.
I was thinking of the decals for the extra long LNER CCT . I wasnt sure when typing if they originated via Jonathan , if John Peck cannot find the GNR ones ask about this long wheelbase version as well. They also has had "Not to work Mersey Docks" or similar text as well as the Data Panel.
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Thanks gents, I'll try and get in touch with John.

I'll certainly consider making the parts available to anyone that wants them. Naturally they come with all the usual flaws of a Silhouette Cutter design, so I would consider them very much a scratch-aid. I'm also working on a design to cut the similar but more numerous Dia 360. I believe this is the diagram represented by the D&S Kit. I'll send you a PM Jonathan.

Thanks,

Joshua
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Next across the workbench is the LNER 12T Ballast Plough Brake Vans, as mentioned and pictured on P142 of the combined Tatlow book.

Got a question on these, however. I'm unsure if Tatlow 4B would answer this, perhaps someone who has a copy would be kind enough to let me know. The side lamp is offset from the centre of the van, but would this be "mirrored" on the opposite side? i.e. would the two lamps be directly opposite one another, or would they be "diagonally" opposite. Hope that makes sense?

Also, being engineers' vehicles, I assume they would be in Oxford Blue. I recall somewhere seeing someone mention that one of the Halfords sprays was a good match for Oxford Blue, but can't for the life of me find any record of which colour it was - any suggestions?

Does anyone have any further photos of the brake vans in service?

Thanks in advance,

Joshua