Colour of LNER lettering & numbering for black locos

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

scratcher
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Colour of LNER lettering & numbering for black locos

Post by scratcher »

Having always assumed that it was gold (with red/black) for green locos, and yellow (with red/brown) for black locos, I was intrigued by the "generally but not exclusively" caveat on the Fox transfers website - https://fox-transfers.co.uk/livery-guide-lner. I'm in the process of finishing off an A5 and had assumed yellow letter/numbers, but the caveat has made me question if that is right, especially as the A5s were lined. I don't have any colour pictures of A5s but I have one for a black C4, and the lettering looks more gold than yellow (especially on the buffer beam). I should add that I have "low colour perception" (ie, colour blind) and the area I have most difficulty with is yellow / green, which doesn't help! Anyone able to add any clarifications to the Fox caveat?
2512silverfox

Re: Colour of LNER lettering & numbering for black locos

Post by 2512silverfox »

I am not sure what to what Fox refers. Black locos had yellow transfers in service; I know of no exceptions!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hornby did the Thompson B1 in Black with Gold lettering & numbers a post war variation ?.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Hornby has produced a number of models of LNER black locos with gold lettering over the years but I think that is due to lack of knowledge/research. I had some dialogue with Simon Kohler some years ago that resulted in the J15 and D16/3 having yellow lettering but I think they have reverted to previous habits and the current black LNER N2 has gold lettering.

Andrew
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

I suspect that the caveat is to cover those many instances where works and sheds departed from the correct usages, through the use of the wrong typeface (serif rather than Gill Sans), height, position, spacing and colour. Yeadon's Registers are replete with photographs of departures from the official livery specifications.

As far as RCTS Part 1 is concerned, it is as you correctly surmise yellow not gold for black locomotives.
scratcher
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by scratcher »

Thanks for the clarifications, yellow it will be for the A5.