The Great Model Railway Challenge - an insult to one's intelligence

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

The Great Model Railway Challenge - an insult to one's intelligence

Post by Kestrel »

Tonight, Friday Channel 5 at 8:00pm.
Last edited by Kestrel on Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: The Great Model Railway Challenge

Post by Dave »

Now that was definitely not worth watching, I won't bother for the rest, I think I'm washing my hair.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

A glimpse of the advance publicity was enough to put me off. I'm forced to assume that rather than anybody striving to build a proper model railway, they were all assembling RTR train sets without regard to the correct features of real railways, cramming in as many stupid gimmicky (and quite possibly out-of-scale) features as possible.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

That just about sums it up.
52D sub shed
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 52D sub shed »

I agree that the programme does not show we modellers in the best light I shall not bother watching the next episode.
I was interested to see the Mods on the dark side deleting any negative comments about the show.
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

In a word DIRE
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

The part that made me both laugh and cringe, was in connection with the group that included a scene from "The Longest Day". When one of the team remarked it's morphed from the Longest Day into a feature about D-Day :roll: . Excuse me but D-Day was the "Longest Day" in this instance.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

The best part was when the cocky Missenden lot were disqualified for cheating.

The programme that followed about tracing lost railways was more interesting. The 3 programmes so far are on the Channel 5 website for 12 months. Part 2 was about the Woodhead Tunnel.
Last edited by Kestrel on Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Baron von Shields wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:52 pm...I was interested to see the Mods on the dark side deleting any negative comments about the show.
Maybe one or more of them has a vested interest :?:
JonR
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by JonR »

Horsetan wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:33 pm
Baron von Shields wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:52 pm...I was interested to see the Mods on the dark side deleting any negative comments about the show.
Maybe one or more of them has a vested interest :?:
They don't seem to be able to handle any criticism of anything at all. It was alright, I didn't think it was amazing, but the first episode of the Great British Bake Off was a little wooden too, but hopefully it will bring people into the hobby. It's also good to see a bit of fun and humour getting put back into the hobby. Best bit was definitely Kathy Millatt putting the Missenden team back in their place, she came across much better on camera than Steve Flint who seemed a bit out of place. Hopefully he'll loosen up as the series progresses.
JR
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

On the Dark Side it is banned any criticism of the what he considers a wonderful show, and deletes any negative comments !! Wonder what that is all about ??

15 mins was enough for me simply dire, including suffering the equally awful ex Car SOS presenter . (Comment as posted and deleted on the dark side)

Message edited as on reflection a stupid opening comment was made.
Last edited by mick b on Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

mick b wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:37 pm On the Dark Side the Bald Fat Controller has banned any criticism of the what he considers a wonderful show, and deletes any negative comments !! Wonder what that is all about ??

15 mins was enough for me simply dire, including suffering the equally awful ex Car SOS presenter . (Comment as posted and deleted on the dark side)
I'm at a loss to understand the posts on this place, the reference to "The Dark Side" is childish and refering to the person that set the site up as "The Bald fat controller" is beyond childish. There are no doubt many that think it funny to throw names about but at the same time quite happy to take his generosity when the site was set up.Why no try it here and call Richard a few names and see how long you last. If it is such a poor place with censorship why do so many bother with multiple posts here and there.

I saw some of the posts before they were removed and it had little to do with criticism of the show but those that took part, I for one was glad they were removed as they had no place there.

This place certainly isn't "The Dark Side" but some seem intent on turning it into "The BackSide"
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

'The Dark Side' has been used on this Forum for years, with complete understanding, that it is a very mild dig.

I have nothing to do with RMweb, therefore cannot comment on any of the policies on that platform.

The programme is well described here, which was the point of most comments thus far.

John
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

I'm with John on the "Dark Side" thing. The site is owned by a commercial organisation and must pay due deference to commercial interests. This site is run through the altruistic efforts of an individual and is a haven of quiet common interest. Plenty of scope to argue over there.

As to the TV show, I can't see it bringing anything but more ridicule on our hobby. I do a fair amount of scratch building and I was disappointed to see the challenge on the programme.

The penalty imposed on the Missenden team was because they brought along things they had previously made themselves. But it was OK to bring along stuff that was in branded boxes. Not a show about modelling methinks.

Back to my modelling. No sign of a flying spitfire as yet but I can surely try to get to that level.

Vernon
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

notascoobie wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:21 am I'm with John on the "Dark Side" thing. The site is owned by a commercial organisation and must pay due deference to commercial interests. This site is run through the altruistic efforts of an individual and is a haven of quiet common interest. Plenty of scope to argue over there.

As to the TV show, I can't see it bringing anything but more ridicule on our hobby. I do a fair amount of scratch building and I was disappointed to see the challenge on the programme.
So long as you don't mention Pigeon vans or lining..... Without the 'Commercial interest' the forum would have folded, the popularity of it meant that running costs of £20,000 per year were being accrued which is far too much for an individual to cover.

As to the show, too many in the hobby are expecting to see MRJTV which is certainly isn't. I've an open mind on it, as over the weekend a few people have mentioned watching it and they have no interest in model railways. If just a few of them turn up at our club exhibition thats a positive as with falling numbers year on year anything that helps to promote a creative hobby can't be a bad thing.