The Great Model Railway Challenge - an insult to one's intelligence

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: The Great Model Railway Challenge - an insult to one's intelligence

Post by Nova »

Chris Eden Green has done a piece on YouTube giving his thoughts on the show, it's not just endless praise, he does point out aspects that he feels didn't work. But on the whole I have to say I agree with his overall viewpoints.

https://youtu.be/uQS-fNfGlIQ

I watched a few episodes but didn't go much further, not so much because I dislike it but more so because TV shows as a whole tend not to engage me. My parents showed an interest to it though

I'll not be resorting to insulting the members of the hobby that didn't like the show for whatever reason, the way I see it everyone is entitled to voice their opinions so long as it doesn't resort to insults as a foundation, and everyone is entitled to like or dislike the show as they see fit, to use a blunt American saying "you do you"

Speaking personally, right from the start I approached it with the view that if I don't like it, it doesn't matter, because it's aimed more at the general public, not seasoned modellers. And so far as I see it, any publicity that isn't deliberately trying to paint the hobby in a bad light is better than no publicity at all, and if even a thousand new members enter the hobby then I will view it as having achieved its intended objective.
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947