Fox Transfers launch accurate LNER Coach Branding transfers

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Fox Transfers launch accurate LNER Coach Branding transfers

Post by MikeTrice »

In his book "Gresley's Coaches" published in 1973 Michael Harris wrote "Class designations (1,2,3) were numerals 7 in. high over the gold (9 1/2 in. over shading) to the same shading as letters and numbers and were placed on the lower panels of the doors. Special vehicles - 'Restaurant Cars' and 'Sleeping Car' had lettering of the same size as the class designations".

Modellers, transfer manufacturers and carriage restorers took this as gospel and to date model carriages and restored vehicles have carried 7 in. high coach branding.

The problem with the above is in reality the size of this lettering should be 5 in. high over the gold and comparison of incorrectly painted carriages when compared to official photographs look odd.

In frustration a few months back I decided to email Fox Transfers with the correct specifications and really did not expect it to get anywhere. Instead I was pleasantly surprised to get an email back and positive feedback that they might do something about it at some point in time. The incorrectly sized transfers had been in their range for 20 years and I was the first person to comment on them so again I thought it might happen one day.

A few days ago a package dropped through my letterbox with samples of the revised 5 in. high lettering. Wow. Now the effort for them to do this should not be underestimated. The transfers are screen printed with a separate screen for each colour so a lot of screens had to be remade. What is more they have not limited themselves to just revising the 4mm versions but have revised the 2mm, 7mm and Gauge 1 versions as well. Well done Fox and my apologies for doubting you would do it.

To the best of my knowledge this is the first time accurately sized LNER coach branding transfers have been made available. For anyone interested in further details the revised transfers can be found as follows:

4mm/00 – FRH4320/5: https://fox-transfers.co.uk/lner-teak-c ... ding-79095
2mm/N – FRH2320/5: https://fox-transfers.co.uk/lner-teak-c ... ding-79098
7mm/0 – FRH7320/5: https://fox-transfers.co.uk/lner-teak-c ... ding-79096
Gauge 1 – FRH10320/5: https://fox-transfers.co.uk/lner-teak-c ... ding-79097
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Fox Transfers launch accurate LNER Coach Branding transfers

Post by Graeme Leary »

Great to hear. Even me, a mere colonial - brought this up with them on previous visits. But also interesting in that I have 3 (a pair and a spare) of just 'RESTAURANT' from my April trip but using the same product number (FRH4320/5) as your link below. From memory, Kevin cut and separated this from another adjoining word (which I can't remember) and each is sold separately. Will have to measure to see if my (5 months old) 4320/5 are the older/larger size or did I happen to get the correct size early in their introduction to their range? Very close to finishing my Triplet kit so need to know.

Now, what about the word 'Kitchen' for the Restaurant triplet set's Kitchen car. I've also mentioned this to them a couple of times and sure this it's still not in their range (but happy to be corrected if so). Maybe you could bring your big guns to bear on this too MIke.

Graeme Leary
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Thank you Mike for taking the trouble to prompt folks to get this right.

And well done to Fox Transfers for taking heed of your new information.

Excellent research and equally an excellent result.

John
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

Hi Everyone

Well done Mike and Fox.

On the subject of lettering does anyone know where to get the correct LNER Parcel, Fruit and Milk lettering for the D&S GN 6 wheel Parcel, Fruit and Milk Van as shown on p 97 of Campling's Yellow Book? I've been reluctant to build it so far knowing I had no lettering for it.

Andrew
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Woodcock29 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:06 am Hi Everyone

Well done Mike and Fox.

On the subject of lettering does anyone know where to get the correct LNER Parcel, Fruit and Milk lettering for the D&S GN 6 wheel Parcel, Fruit and Milk Van as shown on p 97 of Campling's Yellow Book? I've been reluctant to build it so far knowing I had no lettering for it.

Andrew

Precision Labels will do custom decals for a small sum.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well done Mike and Fox for doing this, and as you know I got no where when I tried a few years ago, it took a couple of emails before I got a reply, so very well done.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Well done indeed Mike, and thanks from those who struggled to find an alternative method.

paul
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

I would like to add my thanks to Mike et al; I have been trying to get changes made and additional items for over ten years without success!

It would seem that if it is not trendy and very current, it can wait, and wait, and wait!

Nick
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

My part in all this is quite minor, it is Fox that have put the cost and effort in. I must have caught them in a receptive mood and I did provide them with quite a bit of evidence so it was not just a customer dreaming.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

I have just fixed the 'new' (ie accurate) size transfers as referred to by Mike in this posting on my Comet kit and if they're kept on the clear backing that the words RESTAURANT CAR are supplied on they are shorter than the 2 or 3 photos I have of the Triplet set.

The photos I've used as a guide shows the R of Restaurant on the 3rd overlapping the vertical lining into the end panel (furthest away from the kitchen car) and the R of Car overlapping the other end panel (nearest the kitchen). In the case of the Restaurant 1st R & E of 'Restaurant' appear on the outer panel (nearest the Kitchen) and A & R of 'Car' is outside the lining and on to the panel furthest away from the kitchen car.

The Fox transfers (FRH 4320/5-5 which also includes SLEEPING CAR and BUFFET CAR) have RESTAURANT CAR made so if they're kept on to the clear backing both words fit WITHIN the 2 vertical linings and so are completely on the central panel.(I do have another photo which shows apparently the 'other' side but the vertical lining divisions are not so clear and may vary because of spacing).

I did separate 'Restaurant' from 'Car' to open up slightly and of course I could separate all letters to space out to match the photo/s but may there have been variations on the actual running triplet set with the words condensed which Fox's may have used as their guide when producing this great product?

Graeme Leary
New Zealand
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

I suspect the original overscale transfers were just reduced to the correct size and doubt the spacing was altered assuming they were correct to start with.

I would be interested in seeing photos of the model with transfers applied.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Will see what I can do - have never mastered the art of adding photos to my postings (but if a grandchild appears................)
NDN
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by NDN »

Excellent news on the transfers.
Well done Mike!

Nigel
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

I'm resurrecting this thread as I have put it to Kevin and Lynda at Fox Transfers that they could get extra business if they added a sheet of transfers to their range specifically for goods wagons (similar to HMRS's Sheet 12 'LNER Goods Vehicle Insignia').

Understandably being a voice in the 'colonial' wilderness they have asked (a) for detail of what should be produced/included in such a transfer and (b) the likely potential sales. This last is a 'how long is a piece of string' question and wagon/van modellers (and kitbuilders) might be happy with the HMRS product or others I'm unaware of. However I did tell them I would put the query on the forum and I'm quite happy to be the 'middleman' in this.

(I have also raised the 'hearty annual' of the word KITCHEN in the smaller font - is it scale 4" high? - for the Kitchen car in the Restaurant Triplet set.)

Graeme Leary
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Excellent work Graeme - let's hope they decide it would be a worthwhile addition to the range :D
Chas