Middle Shields

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D sub shed
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Middle Shields

Post by 52D sub shed »

ES1 No 2 emerges from the quayside branch tunnel and connects to the invisible overhead wires.
:roll:
small.jpg
Last edited by 52D sub shed on Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: A photograph of part my layout

Post by Graeme Leary »

What a coincidence - I too have a Sentinel railcar on my layout and sometime (soon I hope) about to attempt my electric loco kit, in my case an EB1.
Graeme
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

What a wonderful photograph. It would seem that the NER/LNER cracked wireless electrical conductivity many years ago!

I really like the finish on the D20 in the background, do you have any more layout photographs you could share please?
Last edited by Atso on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
52D sub shed
LNER N2 0-6-2T

"Middle Shields"

Post by 52D sub shed »

Thanks for the replies, it is nice to be in the company of modellings grown up's .
The D20 is not my own work but, as you say, is a beauty.
The rail-car has incorrectly painted buffer beam, it should be black :oops:
I will post more now I am spending more time on the layout and less ploughing through dross on the dark side.
I have just finished the ES1, my first etched kit, and soon hope to summon up the courage to line it out. it was built "as preserved"
On the bench now is a Kirk Quint set almost finished, just have to add graining to the orangey base coat.

More later

Geoffrey
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

3 Of my favourites in one pic, I have a D20 to build from Arthur K, nice locos.
Just one question has that worker on the cart died ?, or is he just taking a rest.
52D sub shed
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Middle Shields

Post by 52D sub shed »

He is from Sunderland, a cockney, and needs a lie down every 5 minutes they are very delicate from that far South
:lol:
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Middle Shields

Post by Atso »

Hello Geoffrey,

The D20 is a thing of beauty; whoever built and painted it did a wonderful job!

I didn't notice the incorrectly painted buffer beams on the Sentinel rail car. Should be easy enough to put right though.

Which 'Quint' set are you building? The ones similar to the 'Quads' or the Sheffield vestibule set?
Steve
52D sub shed
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 52D sub shed »

The Quint set is the Great Eastern version :(
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

No need for the sad face, the prototype is a lovely set of coaches! Modelling in N gauge, my choice of kits is somewhat more limited. Bill Bedford used to do some lovely looking etches for many prototypes but sadly, just as I got comfortable with my soldering skills, he stopped doing the range. :(

Anyway, looking forward to more photographs! :D
Steve
52D sub shed
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 52D sub shed »

Work on the triplet set continues in fits and starts I think I am happy with the teak effect and will do glazing and transfers soon. In the meantime here are a couple of pics of the layout.
The layout is up and running, track and electrics complete, and the scenic side of things will now slowly progress a section at a time, this corner is the first to near completion.
The layout is 35 ft x 8 ft, 4 track mainline with a branch to a quayside, through station with 5 platform faces, large loco depot with a superb ADM turntable and finally a decent size colliery with 6 sidings. I stick to 3ft minimum curves use DCC via Roco Z21 and Apple Ipad, live frog point-work powered by DCC Concepts Cobalt motors. 5 separate DCC busses - up fast up relief, down fast down relief, Loco Depot, Colliery and a separate bus for point power and accessories.
Now the thing about this layout is not its fidelity to any time and place but is solely engineered for my enjoyment and the skill level I posses. This is the culmination of 60 years modelling, from Hornby clockwork through Z, OOO, N, HO,O, and penultimately G. Then struck by Grantham Streamliner Years I was inspired to knock this up this effort.
As Ken Payne once pointed out at some time there has to be the last great layout of a lifetime.
My word I have rambled on a bit, not like me at all, I hope you like it and if you do constructive comments welcome.
I refuse to go anywhere near the Dark side anymore so here we are. :D
Attachments
Factory corner small.jpg
Corner allotment.JPG
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

That Quint set is looking very good!

A 35ft by 8ft layout! :shock: I wish I had room for something like that! It sounds like quite the ambitious layout, do you have any pictures of the other areas - even if they are still in progress?

Ken Payne's Kendale really was a 'Layout in a Lifetime' and I am so glad that the video BRM did several years ago can be found on Youtube.
Steve
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I see that cockney has had his rest and is stood up, but can't tell if he's working.

Nice stock can we have more pics please.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Stood standing? :lol:
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Your railway looks like good work!

My new/rebuilt railway is also likely to be a 'last great project', which gives one a strange feeling if one thinks about it too much.
It has a room some 22' by 11', and is making slow progress (or slower than I would like!)

It has a construction thread on the 'other side' ..... here..., although there are some pictures on my 'Make do and Mend' thread in this forum.

At least I'm trying to plan ahead and avoid what might become access/mobility issues.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

And do you plan to replicate overhead wiring for your ES1 from that era? Earlier this year I had some discussions regarding the Dapol catenary product but was robustly told this was not typical for the era that I am modelling (and seems to be yours too) - ie Grouping.

If so, any tips would be helpful to give the correct effect for when I (eventually) get on to my Judith Edge EB1 kit.

Graeme Leary