D&S D120 Gresley brake/Pigeon Van: finished :-)

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

D&S D120 Gresley brake/Pigeon Van: finished :-)

Post by Chas Levin »

Hello all, currently building the OO gauge D120 Gresley 4-wheel brake / Pigeon Van and I can't quite work out the arrangement of the rocking cradle, its bearing plates and the wheel set that fits them: could someone please post some close-up pictures of the rocking suspension, to show how it fits together? :D
Thanks in advance, Chas
Last edited by Chas Levin on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chas
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: D&S D120 Gresley brake/Pigeon Van suspension?

Post by jwealleans »

I don't have one of Dan's to show, but it works on the same principle as this:

(Edit - better example. The right hand one).

Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Hello Jonathan, thanks for the picture, but I think the one I have here is slightly different. What you have there looks like a one-piece W-iron fold-up with the bearings on the outside - what I have here is three pieces:
D&S D120 LNER Pigeon Van rocking (1).jpg
Dan's instructions state: "Bend up the cradle (22)...Bend up the bearing plates (23), these fit to the cradle locating on the small lugs, narrow slot for OO... form cranks to suit wheelsets and fit in position".
I'm unclear as to how to form the cranks - should the three sections of the bearing plates end up with two 22.5 degree angles?
As there are folding sections above what I take to be holes for the axles, I thought perhaps these plates are mounted as inside bearings?
Am I on the right lines here, as far as attaching goes?
D&S D120 LNER Pigeon Van rocking (2).jpg
Using the narrow slots on the bearing plates to fit over the cradle lugs, the bearing plates can't then bend at the point of that first half-etch line because that's where they'd be fixed to the lugs...
Do any of Dan's other similar kits use the same underframe? If so, do you have one you could show me please?
(Sorry the pics are rotated through 90 degrees - they're the right way up when taken and when viewed before uploading to the forum!)
Thank you, Chas
Chas
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

That is odd. I'll have to get mine out as I don't remember it having that arrangement. That looks more like what Dan usually offers for the centre axle of a 6 wheel vehicle. They're an inside bearing, so you put them onto the baseplate the other way round. I wonder if one of the folds is half etched on the wrong side? The idea is that the base fixes to the plate, then you bend up the rest until your wheelset gives the right ride height and solder the folds to keep it there.
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

It looks like the 'crank' is to accommodate different sized wheels, but it is obviously for inside bearings with the axle running on a thin edge. So it may be better to ditch this and use normal w-irons that have outside pin-point bearings.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Thanks Jonathan and Bill.
To Jonathan: where you say "you put them [the bearing plates] onto the baseplate the other way round" do you mean that the bearing plates' small locating lugs should be bent the other way, with their folds on the outside, so that the plates are on the other side of the cradle (the entirely flat side), like this:
D&S D120 LNER Pigeon Van rocking (4).jpg
(Again, it's rotated the picture - and the blutak is because I don't want to re-bend the lugs if this isn't right).
To Bill: problem there is that this van has the springs inside the W-irons:
LNER Pigeon Van (6).jpg
So I assumed Dan used this arrangement to be able to have some rocking within the more limited space.
Chas
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

ds_w_iron_small.jpg
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Great stuff - thanks Jonathan. I was somehow missing what should have been bit more obvious! I'm still not sure why there are two etch lines on the bearing plates, but perhaps for adaptable height adjustment?
Onward then - much appreciate the help :D
I'm (slowly) building up a GNR/LNER parcels train, GNR Milk Brake was the last one finished which this current van will join as soon as poss...
Chas
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

Chas Levin wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:26 pm (Again, it's rotated the picture - and the blutak is because I don't want to re-bend the lugs if this isn't right).
To Bill: problem there is that this van has the springs inside the W-irons:
In that case, I would use a pair of these with the outer diagonals removed, but each to his own.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Thanks Bill, that's an interesting option; I'm going to try using the thin edge / inside bearings system as supplied but if I can't get it running sweetly I shall swap to your suggestion...
Chas
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: D&S D120 Gresley brake/Pigeon Van finished :-)

Post by Chas Levin »

:D A belated Happy New Year all - here's a pic of the finally completed Pigeon Brake:
D&S_304_LNER_Pigeon_Van_Nov18 (32).JPG
Thanks again Jonathan and Bill for your help on the suspension :D
Please excuse the Hornby couplings (it runs on the same layout as various old and new R2R vehicles and I find I've become 'coupling-blind'!) and the half-finished state of the layout, which is an ongoing project...
The carriage next to it is also a D&S, the D310 GNR Milk & Luggage Brake, finished in what's intended to be a slightly older looking shade of teak as it's still carrying GNR markings, a little overdue for the LNER re-branding :wink:
The signals are CR Signals heads on a Traintronics etched brass gantry and the loco on the raised line is a Hornby J15, my smoothest-running R2R to date,

Chas

Last bumped by Chas Levin on Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:14 pm.
Chas