Corridor tender for blue A4 Mallard ?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D sub shed
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Corridor tender for blue A4 Mallard ?

Post by 52D sub shed »

Hello,
I would like to change the tender on Hornby's Mallard for what I believe would be the correct corridor type to head the Coronation set.
It would be preferable not to have to respray the replacement, I did wonder if the tender on the Great British Locomotives Mallard could be adapted without to much surgery.
Could one or more of my "invisible friends" as the wife calls you chaps advise please?

cheers
Geoff
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Corridor tender for blue A4 Mallard ?

Post by Atso »

Hi Geoff,

I believe that Mallard retained a non-corridor tender until 1948 so a corridor tender would be incorrect for the LNER period. I don't believe that Mallard was one of the locomotives rostered for the regular Coronation service but hopefully somebody with more knowledge than I will be able to confirm or disprove that.
Steve
DonnyRailMan
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by DonnyRailMan »

Hi Geoff,

The information that Atso as posted is the same as i was given sone years ago, when i asked the same questne.
DonnyRailMan Instagram @severncrescentrailway
52D sub shed
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 52D sub shed »

Thanks for taking the time to reply folks, I guess there is more to this than I imagined.
:(
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Baron von Shields wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:07 pm Thanks for taking the time to reply folks, I guess there is more to this than I imagined.
:(
I believe that the Coronation A4's typically had a chrome trim strip along the bottom of the valances and tender and stainless steel numbers/letters. However, I'm sure that there were occasions when the train was hauled by another A4; the Silver Jubilee set certainly did (and not always an A4!). However, I appreciate this doesn't necessarily help with regard to Mallard.
Steve
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

Did A4's used on the West Riding Limited require corridor tenders?

Sawdust.
52D sub shed
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 52D sub shed »

Come to that did the Coronation require corridor tenders as they appear to have undertaken a crew change at Newcastle?