Hornby 2019

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Hornby 2019

Post by RayS »

Pretty disappointing for LNER fans - loads of GW and S, but little for us. Terriers in all shades of the rainbow - why not a J67/8/9 for us?

Put in an order for a Peckett B2, but the little Ruston and Hornsby is just too small.

Website not surprisingly very slow - I got as far as p14 and gave up

:(
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: Hornby 2019

Post by Autocar Publicity »

(Sotte Voce) I actually viewed these via the Dark Side, as the information was displayed much more logically and clearly.

Yes, bit of a 'traditional' programme from them geographically. My wallet's relieved but others' won't be, there's probably a fair bit there for many of their customers. Going down the industrial route is probably a canny move given the space problems most modellers have and the rise of smaller layouts. Hopefully this programme will give them some cash to put themselves into a healthier financial position.

One other plus is the fact that most of these seem well advanced, even allowing for some slippage on delivery dates should see most items arrive during 2019 or early 2020, in contrast to the blue box boys. I know Hornby tend to announce projects later on in their development but I think they can get some good PR from 'quicker' delivery.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Simply very very poor for the LNER . One item !!, a different number on the Toad B Brake Van :shock: .

Everything else listed is preservation, BR or a 1923 Wembley version of Scotsman that never moved an inch in the livery, I haven't checked but I believe it had a K3 GS Tender at Wembley as well ?? . :roll: :roll:

edit

Now confirmed via RCTS Pt 2a . K3 GS Tender with flared out Copings used , as the 8 Wheel tender made FS too long for the allotted space for the exhibition. Oh dear Hornby.
Last edited by mick b on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

At 7:25pm, I've waited 30 minutes for the Hornby site to open and now when it is, I can't get past page 1.

Went back in at midnight and saw all the pages. My card is safe for a while at least.
Last edited by Kestrel on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

Agree very poor. But they're playing it very safe. Norisky choices. I'd hoped we'd seeI'd thompson and/or v2 the later to wake Bachmann up. Alas it was not to be.
lu4472ke
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by lu4472ke »

I agree that the LNER choice is very poor. I would've liked to have seen an E4 or something else GER, but its a bit of a risk considering Hornby's financial state
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

The Toad B is now in BR grey and the Toad E is now in LNER red oxide as I predicted to my mates here.
As others have said my wallett is safe.
All the better really to focus our minds on building our stockpiles of kits!
Andrew
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

It's really rather a relief to me. Best of both worlds. With the Oxford N7, Bachmann J72 and eventually V2 in the pipeline as well as the longer term potential of the NER Autocar and the TMC G5, my wallet needs a bit of a break. But I have all the good will in the world towards Hornby and we are all very aware of how much they need a good year sales wise. As far as I can tell they have produced a very robust and well-thought-out range, with wide ranging appeal to both the established moddelling market and some more budget (yet still looking accurate, perhaps just less detailed) additions for those starting out or less concerned for detail. One trend that is very welcome to note is the "complete train" idea seems to have become entrenched - noticeable in the modern image with the HSTs with matching coaching stock.

So yes, very little for me save the Toad E, but I don't mind that if the stuff they've produced sells. If the "complete train" idea sells, then perhaps next year will be the turn of the LNER. Articulated coaches anyone? Restaurant triplet? Silver Jubilee and Coronation Stock? Pre-grouping coaches? Perhaps that's speculation too far, but either way I wish Hornby all the best with this range.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Going to be an expensive year if you like collecting every version of Flying Scotsman. I hope the sort the A3 out if they going to charge That much for them.
Good anouncement for me, without any fancy new toys to find money for I can put a bit towards the trainset.

Cheers
Paul
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

Further to my post above, I note that the 2019 version of the Toad E in LNER red oxide, No 162007 is what you might call a hybrid version as its has timber end posts. This is consistent with the photo of 162013 from the same batch in Tatlow Vol 4B (p319) which is from a batch of Dia 64 (Toad Es) built at Doncaster in 1930. Well done Hornby!

Looking in detail at one of each of the Toad B and Toad E versions released recently by Hornby for the purposes of writing a review for our BRMA Journal The Clearing House I noted that the timber end posts on the Toad B were separate mouldings and could easily be prized off. This started me thinking about converting one to have T section steel end fittings instead which is what happened to later batches of Toad B from new according to Tatlow - so the opposite to what Hornby have done with the Toad E but with the Toad B.

Andrew
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

Carrying on from last my post I now note the 2019 Toad B has the small T sections on the end so really another hybrid on its way to the change to Dia 64 for the Toad E.

Well done Hornby again!

Andrew
Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Paul_sterling »

I was surprised by the range announcement, especially the Ruston 48DS! that was a real surprise.

Bittern is a bit of a miss mind, the Loco has never, to the best of my knowledge appeared as Garter Blue 4464 Bittern with the second tender. It was Dominion of New Zealand when that display was done, and in the Coronation finish with stainless steel numbering, and before that as Bittern in BR green with the second tender. Since then its been 4464 Bittern in Blue, 1 tender.

Lovely to see some of the different liveries start to appear again on the A4's and A3's.

The duplication is unfortunate, but it is happening more and more. My belief is that the manufacturers are going with a business model which states "this class will sell xxx, and will give us the best return", if they are all looking at the same statistical reference, then unfortunately all of the manufacturers are going to end up making the same thing (probably Flying Scotsman!). Shame really, as there are still many classes of locomotive still not available in RTR.

We might yet get a J27 one day................ and a few more Robinson Locomotives.

Paul.
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Paul_sterling wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:06 am Bittern is a bit of a miss mind, the Loco has never, to the best of my knowledge appeared as Garter Blue 4464 Bittern with the second tender. It was Dominion of New Zealand when that display was done, and in the Coronation finish with stainless steel numbering, and before that as Bittern in BR green with the second tender. Since then its been 4464 Bittern in Blue, 1 tender.
It seems that Hornby is aiming at making models of the locomotives stored at Margate, given that 45379 has also been modelled. Bittern is currently stored in garter blue with two tenders, although has never moved under steam in that condition as far as I'm aware. Unfortunately for Hornby, if this is the condition they are aiming for they have it wrong again, as Bittern had her valances removed (for maintenance purposes?) before overhaul so is currently stored without them.
Phil
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Phil »

All wallets closed and all cards safe from melting save that is for those belonging to anyone wanting a Thompson O1 in pre-war numbering. 6359 rebuilt to an O1 and in traffic at Retford from 16/6/45 then Gorton from 8/7/45 then Colwick from 18/8/46 then back to Gorton from 20/10/46. Renumbered to post-war series 3663 on 2/11/46. Pretty small modelling windows but thought I would mention since thus far overlooked on this thread.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Rather misleading to call it pre-war numbering surely? It is post-war, but prior to 1946 renumbering.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.